electronic float switch

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
Im looking for a float switch to plug in my skimmer so that incase of overflow it kills the power. I know I was talking to JohnK and he pointed me to a website but I cant seem to find it...I dont remember it being 75$ like the ones Im seeing at aquacave. anyone know where to buy a basic electronic float switch?

Steve,
Maybe it was autopoff site.
I use one for my top off and have another incase the DT fills up too much.

I got a bunch off eBay for something like $3 a piece and they work fine. I am only usin them to trigger relays though so its ~5 volts, not 110v. It is my understanding they will handle 110 but only a very low amperage.....

Pat do you have a parts list or picture to go by? Id rather not dish out a lot of money if I can buy a float and a few other items to get the same results. I dont have a newer controller on this tank so that option is not going to work.

that will do it.

Don`t know how much that is but if that is all your looking for its a very easy DIY.
With stuff you got laying around the house minus the float switch maybe.

I have this: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=204
That I have offered and I am curious if anybody can assist with the wiring of a float switch to control the skimmer for Steve. I will describe it to him in person, but just curious if anybody could shed some light here for him (I've been working close to 14 hour days and pass papers/move in two weeks so my time is extremely limited) and I am just trying to help him out. It will be controlled by a 5 volt power supply and a float switch which I know works @5 volts. I am running one of these identical relays through a 5v 1a power supply.

I have this: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=204
That I have offered and I am curious if anybody can assist with the wiring of a float switch to control the skimmer for Steve. I will describe it to him in person, but just curious if anybody could shed some light here for him (I've been working close to 14 hour days and pass papers/move in two weeks so my time is extremely limited) and I am just trying to help him out. It will be controlled by a 5 volt power supply and a float switch which I know works @5 volts. I am running one of these identical relays through a 5v 1a power supply.

I really enjoy working on the setup, and I am always glad to help. Send me a pm and I will send my cell.
I would like to think I am decent at it as well . My system is heated by my furnace etc.
anyone anytime no problem. Does not have to be expensive either
There are cheaper ways to do everything

You can also use the Tsuami AT-1 device to either turn on, or off when it senses high level. You may need to purchase the correct version. While float switches might be okay for safety shutoff, I would not use them for something critical. Small encrusting organisms will grow on them (even in a sump) and in time imped the action.

As an added level of safety you can wire two switches In series so that the high or low condition has to be met twice before the action is taken. This approach prevents a snail etc from producing undesired results

occasional cleaning is always a requirement

Additionally tip many floats action can be reversed by removing the float itself rotating 180 degrees and reinstall. This is a quick way to change a normal open contact to a normally closed contact without rewiring. Sometimes handy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

going to wire mine up this weekend. its mostly done (THANKS PAT) but not quite. Ill post pics.

Just imagine the lamp is the skimmer pump.
uploadfromtaptalk1368970100002.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1368970117072.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1368970129086.jpg
Wired it up but couldn't find a; project box at depot... off to radio shack when they open. Thanks again pat it looks like it works perfectly. I'll try and post a finished pic all set up in sump
Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Looks good Steve, watch out for that board when it's plugged in (the lamp/pump side will have line voltage on those traces/solder points under the relays!! Be careful)
Radio shack will have a small box that will fit that board perfectly. You will just need to drill a hole for the wires.

uploadfromtaptalk1369502548564.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1369502573489.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1369502599090.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1369502632195.jpg
All wired up, float in its new home and in place in cabinet! Works like a charm. All said and done 31 with new container.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back