elegance

doog

Non-member
well I dove in I have heard some people can keep them even though most can not. Can't find out without trying. I have read up on them but I am looking for feeding recomandations for those who have had luck with them

elegans coral

i currently own a pink tipped one. i have had mine for over 3 months now. i feed it chopped clam weekly the clam is soaked with vita chem. you may try feeding it a silverside. come to sea world and you will see my elegans in my 175 show tank.

There are many theories why Elegance corals do not survive for long. There is a long thread on RC about it and peoples theories on lighting issues, feeding, etc. It is a little more complicated than what to feed. I would not feel to combfortable with 3 months either, that is hardly succesful.

I would do some research on those threads and talk to the few that have had them survive like Dawn. See exactly how they run their setups, whether they have deep water, shallow, what kinds, etc.

Keep in mind that a healthy elegance can get very large depending on lighting. I don't think I would attempt it unless I really prepared and researched for a long time..

my tank is plenty big enough for a large elegance. I am not worried about feeding just cuious. AS we all know there is no answer on whjy they do good or bad if there was we all could kep them in the right condions. The only way to be sure is to try it yourself like I am doing

Spend some time talking to people who have had success.;) I'm sure Dawn wouldn't mind sharing some info. Her's is the size of a football.

mines been going well for over 3 months now i see it continuing for another 3 months and then some ,its in great health there would be no reason for it to die unless i messed up my water parameters.i am confident that my elegance will live for ten years.

mines been going well for over 3 months now i see it continuing for another 3 months and then some ,its in great health there would be no reason for it to die unless i messed up my water parameters.i am confident that my elegance will live for ten years.

I was not trying to knock you but, 3 months is nothing. I believe most people can make it 3 months. I also believe that water quality is just a small piece of the pie when it comes to properly caring for an elegance.

To have one look healthy after 3 months and then say you are confident it will live 10 years is...Not even people experienced with testing elegance corals would make a prediction like that knowing how sensitive they are to injury and the problems that sometimes come out of nowhere.

I don't think people should underestimate the difficulty in kepping animals that have had tons of deaths at the hands of hobbyists like elegance, flame scallops, carnations, sponges...etc. Not to say some are not succesful but all in all, not to good.

Doog good luck. I think speaking to people that have had long term success and doing a lot of research will help you a lot.

thanks. i realize they are very difficult to maintain. but i am confident that i will have long term succes. if it dies i can always get another, i have unlimited resources, lol sea world employee here.

very true, and unfortunatley living creatures die some times. i will keep trying if it does die, like i said i have unlimited resources.

very true so nevermind then i wont continue replacing my corals. i will just keep what i have and hope for the best. good luck in the future with all your attempts,Marc

if it dies i can always get another, i have unlimited resources, lol sea world employee here.

Sorry dude, but you really need to educate yourself. This has to be the most ignorant statement I've seen posted on this board since I've joined. To top it off, you work at an lfs. It's a very sad thing that you have unlimited access to these delicate animals with this attitude. I hope you don't give this kind of advise to your customers.

Sorry about the hijack Doug. Get in touch with the 2 members mentioned. I'll bet youy'll get a ton of insight.;)

I have to agree with the comments above. I really hope you go to areas that are over harvested and look what is happening for yourself. Only then will respect likely come.

On the other hand...2 people I know have had alot of exp w/ them is Dawn and Jermey @ CRA. Jermey gave me some advice when I was looking at them. I decided on something different.

Agreed also,

but keep in mind that Dawn and Jeremy have both had theirs since the time when elegance's were doing OK in captivity/importation.

whatt!!

after comments like this you don't deserve a reef tank. I'm sorry for getting off the subject but these comments strike a nerve with me. i believe that in a way when we set up these reefs and fowlr that we are in a way acting like god and mother nature in a sense. but we were not set out with theses goals. no, some of us are in it for the beauty, some for the science, some for the hobby, some of us even believe were doing are own little part of saving the natural reefs that are being over propagated but some of us do it for all those reason's. but its when you stop and take a moment to realize that these guys are living beings that these thought's should come to you and comments like that shouldn't even be a close thought never mind being voiced and if it gets to that point then you have no respect for the lives you are LOOKING AFTER and don't belong doing so. just my opinion.

once again I'm sorry for getting off subject but i just had to voice my heart and opinion here. thanks

thanks. i realize they are very difficult to maintain. but i am confident that i will have long term succes. if it dies i can always get another, i have unlimited resources, lol sea world employee here.

very true, and unfortunatley living creatures die some times. i will keep trying if it does die, like i said i have unlimited resources.

Moderators note:

Let's get back onto the subject of how to care for Elegance corals please.

Actually, unfortunately the original elegance we had died after 7 or 8 years in captivity. The one we have now was brought in a year or so ago by a customer who had purchased it elsewhere (against my advice) and it was peeling back from the skeleton. It is one of the corals that did time in our refugium for recovery, and has filled in the void left by the loss of our previous long time resident.

Doog, ask Dawn what she feeds hers. Hers is very healthy and has kept if successfully for many years.

ps- no need to jump all over the guys back on his miss step. Always better to educate than to criticise.

Back