Eric Borneman's Tank Wipeout

Moe_K said:
I edited the last couple of posts.
Keep the political crap in The Lounge. Seriously.
Moe, that's a little rediculous! What I posted was a joke and I made it clear. The funny thing is it was against G.W. and I have always supported him. Lighten up, will yah? It was meant to be funny.

Sorry Steve, I didn't see it that way. I didn't see a "just kidding" or a funny emoticon in your post.

Last edited:
Correct.
I understood you were being sarcastic, but I thought you were mocking or goading.
Lets take this discussion to email or PM. We've derailed the thread's discussion.

Moe_K said:
Correct.
I understood you were being sarcastic, but I thought you were mocking or goading.
Lets take this discussion to email or PM. We've derailed the thread's discussion.
It's ok Moe...I was just trying to be funny. Obviously it wasn't seen that way.:eek:
Look at that...I used an emoticon...actually 2 :D

Terrific, Steve!
sun.gif

Moe_K said:
Terrific, Steve!
sun.gif
Thank GOD! I thought you were geting all serious on me. BTW Moe...get rid of "The Count" will ya? That avatar gives me the creeps....and that's saying a lot if you look at mine!

I feel extremely bad for eric. Many of this items are not replaceable which makes them priceless to him. With that much lost I can see how he would be so upset to think irrationally. I bet he will come around. Even if he doesn't, I don't care. He still have way more knowledge then me and I can still learn from him.

The worst thing that could come out of this is that he leave the hobby and research!

He will be back to the top in no time. It is an addiction, not a hobby.

With the resource of Calfo, Eric will not have problem to get most of his stuff back. Mean while, he should focus on his next book, I hope.

800g tank of 10 years down the drian & trashed...that sucks no matter what the reason

And he could say it was flying garnards that broke in & did it & I wouldn't blame him. If you haven't gone thru a tank crash of a beautiful tank...you can't imagine
I haven't & hope to never have it happen....my CA overdose was bad enough

and who knows what goes on in his life?

I told my GF she was nuts when she told me the Challenger blew up.....

paranoid is a boss accusing you of hacking into his computer to see your review.....not that I was ever accused of that......

I don't know his setup...so can't say or guess what could have happened

sad any way you look at it:(

If Eric is of good character, I think he certainly will come around, acknowledge his mistake*, and rescind this egregious sabotage accusation.

This whole incident brings up two important life lessons.

1. They say on TLC that Merlot and e-mail don't mix. Well, I guess a tank crash and e-mail don't mix either. I do, however, stand firm in my belief that everyone is responsible for 100% of what they type 100% of the time.

2. No one is G-d, except maybe G-d if you're religious. And even He/She makes mistakes. Uh, disco?

I would be very surprised if Eric doesn't have a frag tank or corals elsewhere, or if people do not give him back frags from corals he gave to them, just as we've done in this club. How many times have we all, myself included, gone into our tanks and taken frags for someone in distress. I know I've fragged for someone in need wen that coral really wasn't ready to be fragged. That's the hobby.

What's not cool is blaming saboteurs. I really hope he comes around after the grief and this isn't part of his normal character. Someone a while back said something, I'm not sure if in jest, about kicking Eric when he was down (because he was from Texas?). Please. The guy has to live in Houston. That's punishment enough. There is so much good will in this hobby, I kind of felt kicked at the sabotage allegation, kind of like it was a kick to the hobby as a whole. After all, the only person who could sabotage a tank in that manner would be a fellow hobbyist.

I hope this settles down, let's keep politics out of this, and we can go on and make sabotage a running joke for tank failures and mishaps,

Matt:cool:

* mistake in terms of blaming a saboteur, not whatever happened with his tank.

My post had nothing to do with whether or not his statements about sabotage are reasonable or not. It has to do with having the courtesy not to call him out publicly (in a forum he doesn't participate in btw) on my opinion of his belief.

I just don't see how publicly stating you find his assertion ridiculous benefits anyone...except, of course, possibly making you feel better about yourself because the "expert" isn't perfect.

Some people posed alternate theories -- and that, in my opinion anyway, is at least useful in that it theorizes about potential tank crash problems. Even saying you think those scenarios seem a lot more likely isn't attacking Eric. Labelling his assertion "ridiculous" though is much more personal and direct.

I'm not saying everyone that participated in this thread was attacking Eric, but several were. And when you consider that this person is someone we are hoping to speak to the group in the immediate future, well, I hope you can understand why it may be a little disappointing to see several of our members calling him out publicly on our forums for statements made under extreme stress that really aren't relevent to anyone anyway.

Does his belief adversly affect anyone? No. So why talk about it, especially here where he doesn't participate? And THAT is what makes it different than if any of us were in the same situation -- we are a lot more familiar with each other and we actively participate in the forums. When people that don't know you are calling your opinions ridiculous, that doesn't seem like a place I'd want to frequent very often. On the other hand, if "friends" are telling me I'm being ridiculous, that's something that maybe serves a wake-up call. They're very different things.

And Matt, I just don't understand your argument at all. Why do you feel the need to criticize him at all? Does this produce some sort of benefit? Is his belief that his tank was sabotaged hurting you or other reefers? I'm not suggesting it is somehow wrong to disagree with his belief -- far from it, I don't think many people see it the way he does -- but why does it warrant criticism? Why should people label it "ridiculous" which is clearly inflamatory and intended to mock?

Reproach? If his statements were somehow causing harm to someone or the community as a whole, I could see your point. But I don't see any harm and therefore I don't see how this is a situation involving/deserving of reproach.

In any case, as has been said in other threads involving other prospective speakers...it might be a nice consideration if members could refrain from posting remarks about prospective speakers that involve personal attacks/affronts.

And just to repeat it again... I'm not justifying or supporting Eric's assertion. I'm simply saying it doesn't have relevence to any of us and maybe we could avoid labelling ideas "ridiculous" or calling people "arrogant", especially when they're people we'd like to make presentations to the group.

joefitz said:
...especially when they're people we'd like to make presentations to the group.
Joe,
I see what you are saying, but I just don't agree. The funny thing here is that everyone that has said the things that you don't want said, has also said that they think Borneman is a very smart person. You are basically asking us to "tip toe" around potential speakers and I really don't agree with that. Nobody here is attacking the mans educational credibility. We are just saying a statement he made was rediculous. Would he get pissed if he read it? He might...But that's life, not everyone is going to love everything about you. Nobody said anything slanerous here so I don't see what the big deal is.

joefitz said:
I just don't see how publicly stating you find his assertion ridiculous benefits anyone...except, of course, possibly making you feel better about yourself because the "expert" isn't perfect.
It doesn't benifit anyone, but why do you care? There are plenty of posts here that don't benifit anyone in the lounge...that's why it's there.

Joe, your more right than wrong here. someone loses a 30 gallon tank in the club and its such a shame, someone high up in the chain of this hobby and its lesson. to my knowledge he posted that comment soon after the crash when he like so many of us are on edge of throwing in the towel. his tank is accessible by many, a rather high probability that someone might had who knows. For now I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think many people on this forum have issues with authority and those in higher stature.

hey Moe, the Texan thing was a joke - loosen up.

I feel bad for him. A tank of that size... added with his expertise... then a crash? I would cry too. I have had a tank "partially" crash due to my own doing. It sucks! I know now that I have broken down my tank I am relieved that I don't have to worry about the thousands of dollars that I have invested in it. To watch everything die right before your eyes, and not knowing why or how to fix it is something I do not wish upon anyone.... especially Eric. It just makes you understand how vulnerable everyone is to this kind of tragedy.

Tam

p.s. Steve, ridiculous is with an "i" not and "e" - sorry but it is driving me crazy!!! :) and LOVE the avatar!

Back