Evaporation

etszoo

Thread Killer
BRS Member
Just a note. Not sure if this is happening to others but an observation I have
made in the last couple of weeks. Due to the weather conditions I have noticed that my evaporation rate has almost halved. My water params have
obviously been effected as well in that I have additives in the top off.
It was a slow drop off but my calcium had dipped to 380. I have a regimen of
when and what needs to be added....that has changed!
Just wanted to let others know just in case, check your params!
-Eric :)

Funny I was noticing that last night and was going to post something today about it. My evaporation hasn't quite halved but it is about 1 1/2 - 2 gallons less than usual.

We do not have any climate control in our house and my heat is turned down. My tank
temp is easy to control, but the evaporation has subsided considerably. Just wanted to
see if others were experiencing similar changes and what they are doing/should do to compensate.

Turn down the thermostat so the fan runs all the time. Just make sure you have enough heater, because the forced evaporation will cool your tank a good bit.

It is not that there isn't enough evap. Evaporation has slowed due to humidity and temp change. I was having to adjust what I was adding/not adding to my system as
a result and wanted others who may be experiencing the same changes to make sure
they don't make any mistakes. Or at the least check their params before there is a problem.
-Eric

Nate. I don't trust my heaters any more. Seems like once you start fiddling with them
after they have been running a while, they screw up.

Nate meant the thermostat on your fan, which you said was thermostatically controlled. He would have had to have said to turn your thermostat up if he meant the one on your heater.

I totally agree with you that fiddling with cheapo heater thermostat settings is fraught with peril. Gradually converging on the new set point is best done in a small tank separate from your system. I only fiddle with mine when mixing salt in a bucket, since the experimental process is quicker and safer there.

--cn

Hey conrad. Was just noting Nate telling me to have enough heater. Besides I am just
adding calcium and maintaining my alk in the meantime. Yeah we've seen enough heater
woes in the last few weeks ;).

Well, I was actually enjoying not to have to fill up the sump(my auto top-off is out of order at the moment) too often but until someone decided to turn on the heat in the house. Can you beleive it? It's freaking May and they turn on the heat. So now my tank temp is rising and I have to turn on the fan which cause more evaporation than normal.

Back