Faulty Bio-Wheel or Operator Error?

GinaD

Very Happy Red Sox Reefer
Has anyone used a Bio-Wheel filter before? I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and it just stopped working twice in the past two days. The first time was my fault - I was doing a water change and forgot to unplug the filter first. The water line dropped below the intake and the filter quickly overheated. I removed the filter, let it cool down for a few hours and hooked it back up, and it started fine.

However, last night it was off again for no aparent reason. No blockages, plenty of water in the filter, etc., and it wasn't hot at all. This is the first time I ever had one of these filters so I don't know if it's normal for them to be like this, so I don't know whether to bring this back and/or go for another one just like it or go for something different.

Do you think I may have damaged it when I overheated it when I did my water changes?

Thx in advance!!!

Not many in club use the Bio-Wheel. Members do use them without the wheel to run carbon, or as a fuge. The pump is usually pretty bullet proof, is the filter full of water when you plug it in? Can you hear the motor?

You might take the pump out and inspect the impellar. If it looks good give it a cleaning and try to run again.

I still use my bio wheel, although I've yanked for the wheel altogether for saltwater uses and still use it as a backup/emergency. I've had a couple of run dry moments and things seem OK(they should be pretty tough) and also had good luck with a white vinegar soak. NBL

Thanks, guys.
BTW, Naturebatslast; is that your elbow in the avatar?? :)

GinaD said:
It's a Penguin 100, by Marineland

Hmm that model is pretty simple.

You might try lifting up on the intake pipe a little while plugged in, wiggle it around a bit.

Also pouring water into into the filter fast will spin it a bit...

They usually dont stop, they are pretty durable since there is only 1 moving part.

Pardon me for sounding like a 'hoodsie', but "COOOOL"!
(of course, you'd have to be at least my age and to have grown up around here to know what a hoodsie is...)

LOL... I know. How about this definition?

"South of Boston a hoodsie were all young teenage girls, like about 13-15, and hoodsie was not a nice thing to be called. It was used the same as "an immature twerp"."

Or my Favorite!
"How could you forget this use of "hoodsie"?

A (sort of) reward, only used in a sarcastic manner in conjunction with "whaddaya want" in order to express the thought, "what the 'f' do i care?"

For example:

Tommy: "Hey Joey, I was just ova that wicked retahded kid Mickey's place in summahville"

Joey: "so, whaddaya want? A hoodsie?" " ;)

They are teenage girls back in the late 70's to early 80's who ALWAYS wore hooded sweatshirts and said things like, "Wicked cool" or "Wicked awesome" (flashback to my entire highschool female population).

GinaD said:
They are teenage girls back in the late 70's to early 80's who ALWAYS wore hooded sweatshirts and said things like, "Wicked cool" or "Wicked awesome" (flashback to my entire highschool female population).
A common comment while out cruising the beach front between guys might be "gotcha wooden spoon"

Back