Feeding Sun Corals

JavaJones

Non-member
I bought a nice colony of sun corals (from the board) and have been feeding them every other day. Since there are many small, new polyps, it is becoming tedious to target feed ever single polyp. Has anyone found a nice feeding method that is less labor intensive? For example, is it alright to do bowl feeding, say 2x/week?

I feed every other day so this is something im going to be hanging on for. Sorry I don't have any other input.

I used to cut a 2 liter Coke bottle top off and cover the colony with it...then I squirt food into the top...this way the fish, shrimps and crabs can't get to it.

Back when I had sun corals I would take the colony out of the tank and place them into a small container filled with tank water. I was using a measuring jug that was just a tiny bit bigger then the colony at the time. I'd then drop a frozen cube of shrimp/cyclo/clams what ever and then put an airhose in the cup to circulate the water to move the food around. After about 40-45 minutes I'd come back and take the coral out and place it back into the tank.

I used to cut a 2 liter Coke bottle top off and cover the colony with it...then I squirt food into the top...this way the fish, shrimps and crabs can't get to it.

This is a great idea. Thanks Peter

I am thinking of finding a better place in the tank for it so that the 2-liter strategy will work as described by pvh; in the meantime, I think that bowl feeding it with an airhose might be the way to go--thanks Cardiak! I had thought about bowl feeding it but did not think about using an airhose to produce the circulate. I notice that it is too easy to squirt out the food too fast and then they lose it to the brittle star. Combining slow circulation with a high density of food seems like the way to go... without making my skimmer go crazy... Thanks for the help!

Back