figure I should post a quick bit...

expatgoalie

Non-member
I'm not really 'new', but I am starting over. My name is Paul. Many moons ago (okay, 5 years), I had a 75g reef display with a 30g sump at my home in Weare. It was about 1.5 years old before The 2008 ice storm caught me completely unprepared. We lost power for 8 days (downed wire in our driveway)... Because everyone and their brother was looking for generators as it was a pretty devastating storm up in central NH (and everywhere else for that matter), it took me 3 days to find a generator for power. I did everything I could (at least, I'd like to think I did)- batter powered air stones, blanket wrapping and insulating of the tank, hell, I even got my father's gas heater to try and bring the room temp up... I re-homed my two onyx clowns and my flame hawk (the only fish in the tank), but by the time power resumed the corals were too far gone... The water got milky and I fought it for a week to get everything stabilized...

Needless to say, I was completely caught unprepared, and I was pretty frustrated with the whole situation (myself in particular), so that shiny new AGA dual peninsula overflow 180 I had waiting to be installed went up for sale. It actually sold on here to Sherri, where I hope it is treating her well!

Fast forward to about 2 months ago, we've since moved to a new house and neighborhood, and I'm ready to do round 2. I bought a 60 cube off of a fellow reefer here, and now I'm planning to get it set up hopefully by Thanksgiving by accumulating parts here and there off of various classifieds.

I'm sure I'll have questions, as I've forgot 90% of what I knew about reefing from the last time. Old age sucks on the memory!

i remember that storm but luckily i didnt have my tank setup yet,, anyways good luck with the cube!

things are coming along nicely. I've acquired a light, skimmer, return pump, RO unit, and placed a deposit on a custom oak stand... I'm hoping to get the tank started and cycled by Thanksgiving, but we'll have to see.

Back