fire worm problem/ coral replacement

ffsteve

The tool man
over the past month i have taken out over 10oz of these worms. it all started from one small rock that was cool looking. i set it out let it dry out and then soaked it in cool tap water. i placed the rock in my tank with a net just in case(the rock came from a tank with worms) and a 1/4 inch worm flowed out and over the net into the tank. rapidly tring to get it i spilled tons of water everywhere, dug out abunch of sand, made a huge mess(pissing of the wife), took out the net with the rock tossed it onto the counter and broke a vase, wtf. now a month or so later i have devoted to kill every one of those little f*cker.
problem, i have used some diferent methods and with only little results.
does anyone have a sure fire way to get them out?

also, can you cut off mushrooms and glue the onto other rocks?

thanks steve

Are you sure your dealing with "fireworms" and not regular "bristle worms"?

"fireworms" are not at all common, whereas just about every healthy reef tank has plenty of "bristleworm" which are good scavengers and not a problem.

I wouldnt personally glue the actual mushroom. You might want to put it in a small container with some sand, or shells, or small rocks, and then glue whatever it has attached to onto the larger thing you wanted to attach it to.

Im just in shock the there was anyting alive in the rock after "letting it dry out and soaked in tap water"......... Like John said fireworms are not very common...... You sure they are not just bristle worms?

i thought fire and bristle worms one of the same. so it must be bristle worms.
are there any type of traps? that does a good job.

A fire worm is a type of bristle worm that is poisonous. If I recall correctly they are very different looking too. Look up fireworm online to make sure that's what you have. I wouldn't do anything if they are normal bristleworms though. Its a sign your tank is healthy. They live in the rock and sand and are great for detritus export.

There are tons of different bristle worms, fire worms are the rare ones that prey on corals.

The old school trick is to take a woman's nylon and put some food in it, then put it in the tank when the lights go out. In the AM you should find a bunch of worms stuck to it, remove and repeat.

That said, they are good for your tank ;)

They are the average bristle worm.(after some research). so does everyone have them?
and i have tried the nylon trick with little results.

Just about all reef tanks have them.

Populations are largely controlled by available food sources, feed too much and the proliferate like crazy. Feed sparingly and their populations will likely decline.

They are the average bristle worm.(after some research). so does everyone have them?
and i have tried the nylon trick with little results.

Most people have bristle worms and they are good. I had them in my old tank. I have never seen them in my new tank but I think my shrimp is hunting them down. Take a look at night and you might see them more.

Back