FIRST Saltwater Tank (50g Cube) - Need help!

UMan101

Non-member
Hi everyone,

I officially ordered my first saltwater tank. I'm beyond excited! I would love lots of advice/input from you guys as my knowledge is quite limited (for now at least).

here's the tank that's on it's way: http://www.scaquariums.com/product-p/sca-50gpnpb.htm

I'm looking for recommendations on what to get next (heaters, pumps, live rock/dry rock, etc. etc.). I literally have nothing other than what the tank comes with.

Any input is appreciated :)

You are going to need a light fixture. What kind of lighting are you looking into( metal halide, t5, or led)? For the heater I love and only use the eheim Jagger. I would buy your live rocks now and start curing them. What are you going to be using for a water source? Here's a website that you can check out that's awesome bulkreefsupply.com

I'm not too sure which light I'll need. I'm hoping to have some coral in the tank as well. What would you recommend for light?

Also, for a 50g how much wattage should I buy for a eheim jagger?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have the same tank. I also use an Eheim Jager heater (I believe 150 watts). I use the skimmer it comes with. I had to replace the stock return pump as it stopped working after a few months. Nothing you need to do right away, but I would recommend having a replacement pump on hand. I used a Quiet One to replace it with. I have two MP10's for flow, placed on the back wall, one on the left and the other on the right. I have a Reef Angel controller, which controls temperature (I use a cheap fan to cool the tank down), ATO, a calcium reactor (not needed by any means), etc. I would recommend some kind of controller to at least do temperature and ATO. For light, I use an Ocean Revive S026 120W LED fixture. Basically just an inexpensive light that covers the 2'x2' area well. I'm soon going to get some more SPS in the tank and will see how the light does.

Congrats on the tank, good luck with the build, and obviously all questions here when needed!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I'm not too sure which light I'll need. I'm hoping to have some coral in the tank as well. What would you recommend for light?

Also, for a 50g how much wattage should I buy for a eheim jagger?

Thanks for the help!

It all depends on what type of coral you would like to keep. There are 4 types soft coral, lps(large polyped stony), sps(small polyped stony), and nps(non photosynthetic). Once you figure out what type of corals you would like to keep we can go from there to start looking for the right light.

As for a heater I would go for either a large 300w( I have a 250w and sometimes in the winter it needs a little more) or go with 2 150w that way it's not just one heater heating your tank and there will always be a backup heater if one fails.

As for a heater I would go for either a large 300w( I have a 250w and sometimes in the winter it needs a little more) or go with 2 150w that way it's not just one heater heating your tank and there will always be a backup heater if one fails.

I do the same for a few of my tanks, but only if controlled by a controller. Otherwise you would be twice as likely to have a heater get stuck on and fry the tank. From my experience, it is better to have a cooler tank than a super heated tank.

Yes get live rock and live sand. Also what salt brand are you going to use? I use reef crystals

I ended up going with instant salt based on a forum post I had read.

I'm really hoping to find a good deal on live rock and live sand. Been scowering the forums all day haha

Get some refractometer calibration solution too, while you are at it. It should be 35 ppt which equals 1.026 specific gravity.

Back