Fish Aggresion

Nikkoli110

Non-member
I have a 29 reef, and I have 3 fish in it right now. Was four until my neon goby went carpet surfing while I was in Hampton Beach this weekend. I have a yellow watchman goby, who doesn't bother anybody, but sometimes the tomato will annoy him. The two fish that are begining to be a problem are my tomato clown and my royal gramma. I added the gramma about two months ago. The tomato clown doesn't have an anenome. Lately the two fish seem to always be duking it out. They actually go face to face and push each other, and the gramma opens his mouth up really wide, tryign to scare the tomato I guess. It didn't really bother me until last week, the gramma now has a big ol chunck out of his tail, that I'm guessing was from the clown. It doesn't seem too bad, he still swims fine, and it was just on his fin, not really his body. I am upgrading to a 55 within the next two months, will the aggression go away with the bigger tank, or will this continue to be a problem? I don't want them to kill each other, should I give one away? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nikki, tomato clowns are considered the most aggressive clown species. IME, clown actually got more aggressive when they have anemone as their host. This is normal since they're defending their teritory/ home. Once you upgrade to a 55g, I think there should be less aggression between the fishes.

Back