Fish Disease Issue

Firereptile

Non-member
I've had a major disease breakout in my reef tank and was hoping someone could help with identifying the disease and with potential treatments.
Nine days ago, a bunch of fish got what looked to me like ich, but it progressed way faster than ich is supposed to. Within 24 hours, five fish were dead (or at least they retreated into the live rock and were never seen again) and a sixth died 24 hours later. I couldn't see what happened to the ones that disappeared, but the Cardinalfish's fins got rough and damaged before dying and the damselfish's fins also looked bad. Two wrasses and the triggerfish got a few spots that looked like ich; the other four fish didn't. By this weekend, the seven surviving fish looked OK. Today, the triggerfish got some white spots again that look like ich, but also some greyish dots and streaks on its fins and upper body. The two wrasses have a white spot or two but look healthy otherwise.
What I don't know is if I just had an ich outbreak, or if there is some other disease that killed the fish and that the ich was just a response to the stress from the primary infection. Any advice/thoughts would be welcome.

I'm also going to post a picture of the trigger fish. It seems like the whitish marks are on his fins and upper body might be some kind of bacteria. There also appears to be a bit of ich on his chin.
Aj (360x270).jpg

Without more pictures is difficult to say but it does sound like velvet. If it's velvet, cupramine works but you'll have to keep your tank fallow for 8 to 10 weeks.

Was there anything introduced into the tank 9-15 days prior? If so, what was introduced and when?

Was a new fish that was not QT introduced into the tank?

This same thing happened to me. I bought a fish from divers den which I did not QT. I saw signs it was sick and it died shortly after introduction. Within a week half of my fish were dead. I setup a hospital tank and had to breakdown our reef to get the surviving fish out. Fish that survived the initial wave all recovered in hospital tank and were re-introduced into our reef after it had lain fallow for 6 weeks or so.

Scary stuff. We had great water params and no stress on the fish, but some diseases can move quickly.

I'm never buying livestock online again. I'm never adding fish I haven't observed to be healthy for a week or more to my tank again. Folks sound paranoid about QT until something like this happens.

We added a new fish a bit more than 15 days ago. Since that picture was taken the disease appears to have gotten a bit more clear and I now think it is some sort of bacterial infection. I think I'm gonna try to treat it with some prazipro.

Back