Fish traps recommendation

mvallee

Non-member
I have a few naughty hawk fish that I want to get out of my tank and hoping to avoid tearing out 200 pounds of rock to catch them. I posted in another thread about how to go about removing rock and a trap was suggested first.

Any recommendations on traps, not looking to do a DIY and from a google search Aquamedic seems to be about the only hit. Any other suggestions? This appears to be a bait it and wait to pull the trigger string, reminds me of days gone by when we were kids, we would sit for hours with a box raised with a stick on one end tied to a string with bird seed under it just waiting for a hapless bird to wander in. I don't think I ever caught a bird with this method but willing to try and redeem myself with a fish trap :D :. :w ::

I have no problem buying one of it works but seems like it could be a single use type item, anyone have one they are looking to sell/rent?

I have 4 weeks before my Fish in QT are ready to go in the DT so I have time to give this a shot and hopefully avoid the big tear down.

I built a few nice ones yrs ago but all seem to have disappeared. I'm sure that at least one or two of them are still floating around the club. (hint, hint, if you have one of them please hand it off to Mavallee or myself)

The trick with fish traps is to train the fish to eat out of the trap. It can take a while, but if you do it righ you can usually catch them 2-3 at a time when you finally yank on the fishing line.

So yea, if anyone reading this has one of my fish traps please post here.....

Don't feed the tank for a couple of days, get the fish good and hungry.
Put the trap in early in the morning and let it sit there all day so they get used to it. Then put some food inside the trap and the fish should get right into it since they are hungry. It takes patience, but they will go in after the food.

just ordered the large Aquamedic trap, seemed like a good item to have in the reefing toolbox and can double as a holding area or acclimation box if needed for introducing fish, will be here this week, let the fishing begin.

good investment I have the large Aquamedic I have used it several times and it never fails, I put the trap in a couple of days ahead of time for the fish to become comfortable with it do not feed them the day before your fishing trip , sit back with line in one hand . cold beer in the other soon he or they will be on the wall, or in another tank good luck

I just caught my Sailfin Tang earlier today using a simple trap. I put some nori in a a big, clear soup container near the top of the tank. I tilted the container up so a part of the lip was exposed and I could grab it. My Sailfin had been eating out of it for the past day or so. He eventually become comfortable enough eating out of it that he would ignore my presence. It took me a few tries but I turned the container up and eventually caught him. He's a fast mofo. There would have been no way I could have caught him with a net. I used the same "technique" with my Sixline Wrasse.

Back