Freaking out a little bit

afsportsguy000

Non-member
So I lost my Lawnmower Blenny today when I got home, and now both clown fish wont eat and breathing heavy and staying in one corner. I have all parameters in check, I have been doing %20 water changes daily the 3 days they have been in there. I used the water from my old tank. Salinity is down to 1.026, Temp is at 80 degrees. I really don't know what else it can be. All water changes have been with RODI water.

I have also been getting out all the left over food once it settles. I do have live rock in there filter skimmer and a powerhead.

So I really don't know what is going on.

Is this just normal signs of stress? and the lawnmower blenny doesn't make any sense.

Thanks,

Well what kind of system are you running? Filtration, nutrient export, etc? You also said that you have been doing 20% water changes for three days...why? And you said salinity is "down" to 1.026. What does that mean?

Sometimes water changes that are too frequent can stress fish out in my experience.

Well what kind of system are you running? Filtration, nutrient export, etc? You also said that you have been doing 20% water changes for three days...why? And you said salinity is "down" to 1.026. What does that mean?

Good questions here! didnt catch the "down to 1.026"

At hogher salonity there is less available oxygen.

What was the salinity before ypur water changes?

What size tank?

Oxygen also decreases at higher temps.

Bring the temp to 74 and lower the salinity to 1.025 if you jave corals or 1.020 if you dont

So,are these fish still in the QT or moved into the DT?
What are the parameters and how are you checking them?

So,are these fish still in the QT or moved into the DT?
What are the parameters and how are you checking them?

I am using an ATI and a refractometer, The Salinity was at 1.028 4 days ago so I have slowly been getting it down to 1.025 now that I bought a refractometer and can accurately measure it, The water changes are due to the QT and me wanting to keep it to 0 all around the board. I will lower the temp down some to see if that helps and maybe not do so many water changes. Below is the picture of the tank with a few more pieces of live rock added. The other thing is I bought an RODI water system so I have been doing changes with that to get rid of the tap water. Just is weird they were doing so well in my DT and its all the same water ect...

My skimmer stopped making bubbles also to the top. It looks like its working just not producing the big bubbles...could that be because its clean water?

IMG_2222.jpg

Is there a chance that the flow is to high in the tank? They basically are not just staying at the bottom of the tank facing one direction and thats it....Might look like they are losing some color but that could be me over reacting

I had a pair of clowns that died because the flow in my tank was too high, mine were always hiding under the power head since that was where there was the least flow. If you haven't tried it yet turn off your Koralia (?) and just let your filter circulate the water and see what happens.

I had a pair of clowns that died because the flow in my tank was too high, mine were always hiding under the power head since that was where there was the least flow. If you haven't tried it yet turn off your Koralia (?) and just let your filter circulate the water and see what happens.

Yea, thats what it is, meant for a 40 gallon tank, but that is exactly where they hide! I will turn that off today when i get home

Have you been checking for ammonia?
Again,how are you checking ammonia,alk,nitrates...ect?
Also,why did you suspect copper in the tank?

I can't see the pic as Photo bucket is blocked here.

Last edited:
Have you been checking for ammonia?
Again,how are you checking ammonia,alk,nitrates...ect?
Also,why did you suspect copper in the tank?

I can't see the pic as Photo bucket is blocked here.

Yea, I have been using an ATI test kit, I have been checking for amomonia daily, and its never gone above .25 and I have also been doing the daily water changes to keep that as low as zero as possible. I have not been testing for ALK but I have been testing for PH which has been normal.

The pic is just of the QT set up so nothing special....

I suspected copper in the tank since I could not keep inverts or snails more attempts at snails alive, I got the copper tested and it came back at zero.

I did a ton of research before setting up this QT tank and asked hundreds of questions about how to go about it. So i hope I am not being neglectful as I spend about an hour plus testing everything watching them making new RODI water ect...

Everything you are explaining lead me to believe that the fish have burned gills from ammonia.
Alk needs to be tested even more so IMO,than PH.
I suspect that the snails inverts died because of ammonia in a uncycled tank.Along with the LMB,but,it just took more time.
Some fish are quite susceptible to ammonia in even small concentrations.
This happens quite often as the cycle ammonia>nitrite>nitrate rarely is given enough time to finish.

And it not just you,many folks have better luck with there second tank.
They slow down and research more.
It sounds like you are on the right track with QT and water changes.
Depending on how many fish,you should be able to go a few days before a 20% water change.
FWIW,they also sell small badges that have a dial on them that will show if % of ammonia is too high.
Amequel can also be your friend.But,make sure to read the directions carefully.I will often show as ammonia even though the level of toxicity is lower.

Years back I was moving too fast and didn't have a QT.Bought a Scopas Tang that infected the tank with Ich.
Had to move all fish(approx 5 small) to a 20L qt for 7 weeks.
During that time the only fish I lost was a lawn mower blennie.
Ammonia in a qt is your #1 issue.Always have water heated mixed and ready to change out.

Everything you are explaining lead me to believe that the fish have burned gills from ammonia.
Alk needs to be tested even more so IMO,than PH.
I suspect that the snails inverts died because of ammonia in a uncycled tank.Along with the LMB,but,it just took more time.
Some fish are quite susceptible to ammonia in even small concentrations.
This happens quite often as the cycle ammonia>nitrite>nitrate rarely is given enough time to finish.

And it not just you,many folks have better luck with there second tank.
They slow down and research more.
It sounds like you are on the right track with QT and water changes.
Depending on how many fish,you should be able to go a few days before a 20% water change.
FWIW,they also sell small badges that have a dial on them that will show if % of ammonia is too high.
Amequel can also be your friend.But,make sure to read the directions carefully.I will often show as ammonia even though the level of toxicity is lower.

My 44G I had a full cycle and waited 6 weeks before putting any fish in the tank so they were healthy in that tank. I used the same water and even had the filter that is on the tank now in my DT for a week. and used the same live rock. So I thought that the QT would go smoothly and thats when I started noticing everything take a wrong turn. I will continue to monitor the heck out of my Ammonia and maybe slow down the flow of the tank. I had my DT set up for 3 months with no issues other then the inverts. Ammoinia nitrites and Nitrates were all at 0 also when I got it tested by myself and stores.

Years back I was moving too fast and didn't have a QT.Bought a Scopas Tang that infected the tank with Ich.
Had to move all fish(approx 5 small) to a 20L qt for 7 weeks.
During that time the only fish I lost was a lawn mower blennie.
Ammonia in a qt is your #1 issue.Always have water heated mixed and ready to change out.

Yea, went to Home Depot and bought 3 more 5 gallon jugs, Currently 2 mixed with salt and ready to go, one full of RODI water also just incase. I have bought all the right equipment for what I can afford so its not the best but all the essentials and thats why I was going to redo my DT. Do it right from the beginning.

I only have 2 Clowns left now. Is there a way to treat the gills I also do have a hermit crab in the tank, somehow it survived past all the other it just doesnt move around haha, comes out of its shell to eat a little bit and goes back in, still reacts to touch so I dont want to toss him out

Last edited:
Back