Free refractometer salinity standard available at future BRS meetings

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
If you need to recalibrate your refractometer, you are welcome to take some of the club's refractometer salinity standard home with you from the next meeting. We ask that you bring a small, clean, and 'well-sealable' container, and take no more than 20 ml or so. We will not have containers at the meeting for you, so if you forget, you are out of luck.

35 ppt :D I asked just before we left. My refractometer was off by 5 ppt, no wonder Greg's test read 1.021.:eek:

I think it's best to check both the zero, and the high end. The more important point is the high end.

I recalibrated mine when bringing the calibration solution up a bit (it was really cold from being in the car) and now I know what it's supposed to be... It wasn't as bad as I thought; 1.023 which still isn't perfect, but felt a little better ;)

-Mike

I'm confused. What should the calibration fluid read when I use it in my refractometer?

It will be at every meeting. I'll make more when we run out. It will be in the club's chemistry kit.

Great meeting today.

Went away with some of the calibration fluid, and I seem to have a problem. If I calibrate to the fluid, I get the salinity they tested at the meeting. 1.023.

Problem is, If I just use the RO/DI I am under 0. I read above that the higher number is more important. Should I just ignore the zero altogether, or could there be something wrong with the refractometer. :confused:

Thanks

Thanks. :) That was extemely helpful even though I only understood about half of what he was talking about. :eek:

The salinity standard is a great thing to have at meetings, thanks. Mine was off about .002. Thought I was running 1.026 but I've been at 1.024.

So it says to use 1/4 cup of Morton's Iodized Salt. And then add 1tsp of "salt".

Is that teaspoon of "salt"... table salt or reef salt?

Back