Frogspawn and NOAA potential regulation

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
To answer several question regarding Frogspawn and the pending listing it as endanger species by NOAA, and these are what I gather from NOAA's website: (Please take it as my own interpretation of what the website said):
1. The species NOAA PROPOSED to listed as endanger: Euphyllia paradivisa (Branching Frogspawn, branching is the key word here)
2. According to NOAA's website and after I went through the permit PRE_APPLICATION process and it appears that you are not required to have a permit to keep it in home aquarium if you obtain the coral BEFORE the listing (They said November this year)
3. You need a permit (good for 5 year) to propagate the coral or other RESEARCH activity on it. I am not sure what you can do with it after you propagated it because you can't trade, transport over state line nor export it oversea, nor publicly exhibition of the coral. You sure can't kill it (intentionally I assume).

Dz6t this is the third time in this situatiin right? proposed every year
i really hope its not banned...

It is proposed every two years I think.
But I believe frogspawn is the first time be included on the proposed list. Which I don not understand why the researchers will recommend this common and fast growing specie. All the public comments are visible from NOAA website with a lot of them against the proposal.

Back