From Ebay to Reef Tank in 8 WEEKS

Stoger

Recovering Reefer
Hello Everybody!
Bought this empty, 58 gallon tank on ebay 8 weeks ago...haven’t had a saltwater set up in 7 years. Fish went in 2 weeks after purchase, and corals have been added on a weekly basis since. Nitrates .1, Phosphates and Ammonia immeasurable with standard test kits. Looks like everything is cycling ok. Special thanks to BRS members, Test Head 1313, and JRMX635. Also the person who gave me the serpent star fish at my first BRS meeting last month. I would like to also thank Jermey, from the Coral Reef ,for a great selection of invertes and corals.
Thanks Everybody
Fred

Attachments

• 150 pixels test 2.jpg
    150 pixels test 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 596
1st Welcome Stoger, tank looks nice. I do have to ask though, "fish added Two weeks after purchase" sounds pretty risky.

Lots of good info here, members and Jeremy & the crew will help ya' a lot.

Good Luck!:)

Thanks for the welcome, The Fish were kind of a rescue form petco, The naso tang and clownfish were thrown in with 3 Lionfish, they were in rough shape when I got them, That was 6 weeks ago and everybody seems healthy and happy now

Well just keep a GOOD eye on you parameters. That is a lot of fish in a short time, just constructive criticism for your tank and enjoyment of the hobby.

As for the Naso he is going to be cramped in a 58 (IMO), you might want to think of finding a home for him before he gets to stressed, what kind of Lions?

Again, just trying to be helpful.

I think the lions were, Black Volitan Lionfish, Both the tang and clown were laying on the bottom of the tank and hardly swimming when I got them at petco , The tang is about 3 inches , Does anyone know how long I have until the tang outgrows the tank ? Looks like I already need a bigger tank:)

The problem wish "rescuing" fish from petco is, it basically send the message that : you can put those fish in there with them lionfish, and we will still make money off of them. I belive that people "saving" fish from ill practicing Fishstores actually does more harm than good.

It it good to hear that they are doing well though, setup looks great

The problem wish "rescuing" fish from petco is, it basically send the message that : you can put those fish in there with them lionfish, and we will still make money off of them. I belive that people "saving" fish from ill practicing Fishstores actually does more harm than good.

It it good to hear that they are doing well though, setup looks great

That is truly a slippery slope. It's like saying not to buy puppy mill puppies because you're supporting the puppy mills. This is very true BUT puppy mills will never go away and don't those puppies deserve a chance at a happy life too? Our Dobie is a puppy mill dog and she's an absolute love and smart as a whip. Petco's unethical practices will never go away so why not try and save one if you can.

It's a tough spot. My Yellow Tang was a Petco rescue also and he's been with me four years now. He is fat and happy. :)

Anyway nice tank! Your Naso will be ok for a while. No big rush to move him out.

damn to many fish police here..lol

Just trying to protect the fishes rights :)

If I may be brutally honest I would find a new home for the naso & the tang(s), those type of fish are for much larger systems and will get stressed out and may not live very long. I hope you take this as constructive criticism and I don't take this offensively.

On the flip side kudos to you for rescuing those fish from Petco, I probably would of done the same thing.

Hello Fred and welcome to the BRS!:) Your rockwork looks great!

There are a bunch of great people here, very knowledgeable and very caring of the animals we keep in our tanks, as you can see.:)

-Gina and Dave

Hi there. This is Jen, Barry's girlfriend. I read the thing about the puppy mills and freaked out. So let me get on my little soap box for a second.
I'm glad you have a very nice puppy, but under no circumstances is it ever ethical to buy a puppy from a puppy mill. Just saying that puppy mills are never going to go away, so why not just save the few you can, isn't good enough. If you realize puppy mills are bad, then go out and tell people about them. Tell your friends, if you hear people say "they are just so cute, let's buy them to rescue them" tell them why that is such a horrible idea. That is exactly why puppy mills are still used today. Not enough people know about them, and the ones that do, don't make a realistic effort to shut them down.
Ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening even though it has nothing to do with reefs.
(by the way, nice reef Stoger)

WOW !!!! Boy, Did I step on a HORNETS NEST , Thanks for all the comments on the rockwork. For the Record, the Naso Tang is staying in my 58 gallon tank, The tang doesn’t show any signs of stress , she has plenty of hiding places in the rockwork , and feeds on seaweed, right out of my fingers, She also gets along great with my cleaner shrimp, If someone would like to donate a 100 gallon plus tank to me, I am sure I could convince her to move.

WOW !!!! Boy, Did I step on a HORNETS NEST

Oh no, thats nothing - trust me. :eek: :D

Just to be clear, no one's coming down on ya' at all. Unless the Naso is a super runt it WILL outgrow your tank. I have a smaller Powder Brown in a 150 and I think thats pushing it, just my opinion but one I think you will find widely shared round here.. Naso's love to "run". Tangs as you prob know are Ich magnets and stress really seems to be a strong factor in allowing the parasite to take hold.

Back