Frustrated

jah-hoeva

Non-member
Question for some of the more experienced guys and gals. When this hobby you truly love doing gets you so mad, discouraged and frustrated, how do you move past it? I'm not going to walk away but tonight I want to take a bat to my dt.

It happens from time to time. When i think about the issues i have had in 27 years. Tanks broke, 3 house floods, lights fallen in tank x 3. You just pick yourself up. Relax take a break for a few minutes then just plod on. Apart from the financial hurts, i get so much pleasure.

Hang in there. Bin there many times. It's a hard but if you love it you just have to accept it.
Keep on it and find what works for you.

Hang in there! I just had my ato pump 30 gallons of rodi into my system cause the float got stuck, basement rug soaked and salinity a bit messed up but I'm glad I have a huge water volume to keep it all in check. We all go thru it from time to time.....

Thanks guys. Love it to much to quit, but just the unexplained deaths frustrate me beyond words. The fallow period I started will hopefully let whatever may have hit them die off and give me time to plan and adjust some things. I think it's time for a beer.

Do not think of it as a failure, but more so a way "not to do something ".
Similar quote I heard, holds true for many things.
May not be as many years as many (my 16th yr), but learn something new monthly.

I have had more un explained deaths than I feel most... But then I come on these forums or others and see people in the same boat as me. I find it best not to go chasing down stuff, If the whole of the tank is doing well leave it at that. Don't go chasing that one zoa that melted a way. Or that fish that never acclimated right and died within a week. I think of this as more of just a regular everyday hobby... There is a lot of science that goes into it.

I am not I man of many means so it is very discouraging when something you paid good hard earned money for dies, but I feel its all part of the hobby and we learn from our mistakes.

I think the worst in the avoidable issues or the issues caused by yourself. I remember literally almost crying when very expensive beautiful chalice was flipped over in the sand when I came home one day...... I just crossed my fingers flipped her over, and since she has healed very nicely but I remember I really thought I lost it and was very very discouraging.

I have defiantly been threw my ups and downs... just keep with it!

When something happens, .... Don't panic stop think plan act never change more than one thing at a time. And if it's one or 2 corals dip em !!! I have been battling with issues but I have found it and it's getting better

I think everyone in this hobby has been at that point before, I take the situations as learning experiences... Drink a beer... (Or 12) and move on

I have wanted a powder blue tang for years. I finally got one he was in there a month I couldn't of been more excited and I went on vacation for a week only to come back and find all of my fish dead. No idea what happened the tank was 2 years old. Everything tested fine. It was probably my biggest let down in the hobby. But now I'm taking time to rebuild and come back bigger and better.

If you stay in this hobby long enough you will have failures and probably some really big ones. I lost everything while I was on my honeymoon. Made a hardwood floor bend like you wouldn't believe because I left the rodi running overnight. Tank leaks clogged calcium reactors bad heater.......wait why am I starting up again. For me at least the difficulty is part of what makes this hobby great. You need to know chemistry biology woodworking wiring. Stuff happens. Take a deep breath sleep on it. Tomorrow you will see some frag or fish that you have to have. You'll be inspired by some awesome tank. If it is really stressing you out or making you unhappy then shut it down and see if you get the itch again. I did.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thankfully there is no shortage of eye candy on this forum. Plus playing with the rock work and frags in my fallow tank is pretty fun. And having no fish to feed in my dt along with the gfo my phosphates went from 0.36 ish to 0.08.

Well you accept pert of reefkeeping is having problems come up. Just when you think everything is good boom here we go again.

But if I look just a bit deeper I have corals from people who have been out of the hobby for years, fish that are older than my kids and Dog. So I guess it my attachment to the lives in my charge more than anything.

Hey Greg off topic but speaking of corals from people who have been out of the hobby for a long time would you happen to have any Corals from Bec?

Hey Greg off topic but speaking of corals from people who have been out of the hobby for a long time would you happen to have any Corals from Bec?
I think the only thing I have from her is a christmas tree favia

That what does not break you... will make a better tank.... no one ever said it is easy...come to think of it...no one ever told me it was frustrating at times...I kept and bred fresh water fish for over 40 years before going to salt and reef tanks... some things translated well from fresh.... others.. I had no clue... once I stopped trying to make my tank(s) like every one else's and let them adopt their own personalities it got a whole lot better/easier... I realized there is no perfect tank.. and what works for one person.. just may not fit my budget ( both time and $$$$$).. are there problems.. you bet.. I've had at least one thing from every one of the above posts happen at one time or the other... the key is to learn from it and move on... proceed slowly and eventually you'll forget all about the bad things and how much work this hobby is and see it for the hours of joy you get watching and growing your own living reef and ecosystem... good luck.
Roc

That Deswali she had was pretty awesome. What an awesome tank that was. Again sorry for being off topic.

Back