Goni help needed

steevareno

BRS Member
I got an amazeballs goni that hasn't extended it's polyps in a month but still not dying. Any advice on what I can do for it?

I can’t seem to keep gonis alive. They eventually just melt away for me. A ton of people dose manganese. Although there are also a ton of people who don’t and gonis thrive. They seem to be susceptible to bacterial infections. I believe people have had good luck with cipro treatments. Either in tank or in a bath removed from tank

I feed 3 drops of manganese every morning , I have 2 Gonis that are the same, one has polyps that’s been doing great, but the other….seeing I moved it twice kept its polyps retracted for a month…. The one in front just started to extend….they are super sensitive….and my Alk has just been staying around 8:3…..
image.jpg

Run carbon, water changes, test levels. ICP test is great to see deficiency in traces. I had about 6 full colonies of gonis at one point that started to wither and recede...I didnt up losing some but saved 4 by doing this. I was lacking strontium manganese and iodine so I slowly doses and did water changes to replace---- positive results. I also think that its possible some of the gonis are sensitive to toxins from softies or other types of gonis (like boniapora)

I feed 3 drops of manganese every morning , I have 2 Gonis that are the same, one has polyps that’s been doing great, but the other….seeing I moved it twice kept its polyps retracted for a month…. The one in front just started to extend….they are super sensitive….and my Alk has just been staying around 8:3…..View attachment 202732
How big is your tank?

It grew back surprisingly! I think reef roids helped. Did have low manganese too and just added some but was doing better before that. Yours looks nice
Im glad yours is bouncing back and doing well. I grabbed one a few weeks ago as a tester to get into goniapora. I keep hearing mixed reviews if they’re photosynthetic corals or not. Here’s an example from google.

Mine seems to look very happy and healthy with nice polyp extension after a reef roid feeding. At the LFS they said to keep it in low light and low flow. That they’re non photosynthetic and can be acclimated eventually to more intense lighting as time goes on. Nothing but mixed information! lol

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpeg
    IMG_1639.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 11
I struggle with them as well. Strangely though, alveopora flourish right next to gonis in my DT. No rhyme to that riddle.

My red goni did come back and is doing better. extends about 1" but not like before. my others are superlong extension (*5"+)

Reef roids do help. with goni and lps in general. I also have some gonipower in the mix .

Back