Got Corals from Nate?

If you want to get the tank treated and running again as quick as possible, you need to remove all acro flesh from the tank. The hatched fw's will starve with out acro flesh to feed on. If you don't care for an infected coral you can just throw it away (or give it to me) but don't just leave it in the tank where it will provide food for the fw's and prolong your troubles.

Remeber, many fish eat these things. Other animals feed on them also. So when a few get in your tank the natural predators will seem to keep them in check for a while. Then one day you'll notice that they are everywhere. They lays hundreds of eggs at a time just so that the species will beat the odds against predation.

AEFWs

I don't think that inadvertently leaving small amounts of acro tissue on a tank with a huge population of flatworms will significantly increase the population's longevity. They will also starve if they eat all of the remaining acro tissue that is left behind. Trust me, any small traces of acro tissue that I left in my tank is gone now....eaten by the little buggers. I plan on waiting a few months before adding anything to my tank and I will do it only after treating the corals and quarantining them. I do not think it is wise to rush into restocking your tank after an AEFW infestation, especially with expensive acros. My first new colony will be a cheap, or free :D frag that I will place in my tank. I'll watch it for a month or so to see if the tank is AEFW free. I will not even bother turkey basting the frag since I will want it to attract any AEFW, if any, that are present. If the frag lasts for a month or two then I will repeat this with a second frag, etc, etc...

One Eye said:
If you want to get the tank treated and running again as quick as possible, you need to remove all acro flesh from the tank. The hatched fw's will starve with out acro flesh to feed on. If you don't care for an infected coral you can just throw it away (or give it to me) but don't just leave it in the tank where it will provide food for the fw's and prolong your troubles.

Remeber, many fish eat these things. Other animals feed on them also. So when a few get in your tank the natural predators will seem to keep them in check for a while. Then one day you'll notice that they are everywhere. They lays hundreds of eggs at a time just so that the species will beat the odds against predation.

I hope you didn't think my comment meant to restock in 2 days.

If you did you need to actualy read my prior comments :)

NateHanson said:
You all have permission to kick me in the head next time you see me. :eek:
yayyy!!!, lets all do it at the same time so it will hurt even more j/k ;) :D
Duds

Comment

Nope, I did not misunderstand you. But my gameplan will include a waiting period of at least 3 months with no acros in the tank. This is easier, and safer I believe, than ensuring that all traces of acro tissue are removed from my tank. If my tank were smaller with less rock then I would absolutely attempt to get all traces of acro tissue removed.

Another thing is my tank was really stressed out by the ozone overdose as well. So for me, time is required to allow things to stabilize. I am killing many birds with one stone so to speak. :)

One Eye said:
I hope you didn't think my comment meant to restock in 2 days.

If you did you need to actualy read my prior comments :)

Last edited:
no sign of eggs...but not taking chances...pulling all acros anyway...qt, treat... wait...

Umm, Dave....they are Acropora eating flat worms.

See what happens when you take a vacation from this site....brain damage! :)

Montipora...acropora.....jsut makin' sure.....

maybe they are Acroporus Montiporus Capricornus

now I know my AMC's

I'm scared now!!!

Just want to make sure what it looks like, can someone please post a pix of this acro flatworm.

is it tiny, see thru transparent, round?

Thanks in advance!

Spoke too soon, I said, what they heck...I dont like this coral anyway, into fresh water it goes...

Guess what! Acro Flat worms :( That just sucks!

Casey....hook me up.

I'll take any infected frags from anyone who has them. I still have my set up from when I first found the infected frags from JM Keary.

And Bonzai...look in the stickey thread at the top of reef talk...it's titled "Useful Threads" it has one of the original threads about these pests.

ok, will do, i killed the 2 they were on, but im sure there were others somewhere.

It doesn't worry my my system was mainly lps, so Im not out much..just a hastle is all.

im 100% positive I haven't given these to anyone, as I haven't sold or traded sps frags...I dont know if I ever have really...but in the off chance I forgot someone, please check your stuff.

RichConley said:
A blueish staggy looking thing, and a greenish elkhorny looking thing, .
very nice description for the corals. I like those brownish thingy with a touch of purple on the tips too.;)

This reminds me so much of when people were just finding out about red mites. Everyone was in denial. Nobody wanted to accept they probably had them. A few folks with eagle eyes check out other people's tanks and gave them the bad news... Finally the scope of the problem came to light - almost everybody with Acros had red mites.

I have no problem spotting mites :) Easy for me to see..wish that worked with afw's.

Im dissappointed in myself for not realizing this sooner.

I don't think it is necessary to panic. If anyone is on a quest to a pest free reef tank, the only sure way to do it is to use artificial coral (should consider artificial fish too because real fish will get ich). The number 1 cause of death of corals in reef tank is the reefer. Reefer kills coral faster than any pests.

Also, if one get infested with xyz by buying something from someone, one should kick oneself's head instead of the seller. Nate's head should be spared at all cost.

Last edited:
Back