Got money for a new fish for the 40g breeder for XMAS and stumped for idea. Help?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
So I have money given to me for a new fish for XMAS (well, not money per say, but more like I pick a fish and they buy it as long as it's not like a $150 picasso clown lol)

But thing is, i'm stumped for ideas!

I already have a pair of grade a picasso clowns and a royal gamma.
I had a Randall's Goby (Orange Prawn Goby) for a month but it's been missing since Sunday and I can only assume it's gone as I haven't seen it during feeding and it needs to eat daily.
No clue what happened to it, but anyways that's another story.

So in the end whatever I get I need it to be reef safe as I have snails, hermits, and shrimp. And something that doesn't eat SPS or lay eggs on it (i.e. not clown gobys etc)

And it's left me completely STUMPED for ideas!!!

Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse
lg-74616-tanakas-possum-wrasse.jpg

Pink Streak Wrasse
lg-36819-wrasse.jpg

Last edited:
Most wrasse are a pain with the exception of a few listed and I would never put a mandarin in a 40g. The whole ORA frozen fed mandarin thing already failed once before me too.

Cardinal is a thought. Midas blenny? Is that aggressive? I know either midas or canary was a no for me but idk which or why.

Midas blennys are not aggressive but it might jump out of your tank. You might want to get a screen top from Bulk Reef Supply if you don't already have one.

Yeah I love yasha. But don't they stay very small? All the one's i've seen are always wicked small but IDK if they were just babies? I don't want the poor guy to get lost in a 40g lol.

I'm still liking those two wrasse kinda forgot about them. A shoal of cardinals is interesting thought too. But don't they need low flow? Because I love bangai cardinal but I have rather high flow.

i had one in my 120. he did fine, i think they get 2" thats not that small. in a 40b i think that would be perfect for him/her then you can buy a pistol shrimp to go with him/her.

Yasha goby with shrimp or a flasher weasse pair.

I have a Royal flasher trio in my 300 and they are awesome. The male glows purple when he is showing off for his ladies

That pygmy perchlet is pretty neat. Never knew there were pygmy athias. Do they need to be in a shoal like other anthias I wonder?

On the yasha, I was hoping to avoid pistol shrimp. Love them, but not for my tank as they're too messy for my taste.

I'm now between some form of wrasse or cardinal i'm thinking. A pair of flasher wrasse seems pretty cool right now. But they kinda remind me of a betta fish lol.

Back