green hair algae question

Turbos do seem to eat green hair, but if it gets too long, they may not go for it. The tooth-brush method should work.. but only if you can get the rock out of the tank. A safer way for the rock is to move it into a bucket of salt water and scrub it there. Then return it to the tank. While this will clean it off, it may not prevent it from returning. The key is figuring out the cause. High phosphates/nutrients in the system from somewhere.

mason you should post a pic of that werid green stocky looking thing in your tank i have no idea what it is.

My Red Legged Hermit Crabs eat my hair algae and all my unwanted algae. I bought 10 of them for 89 cents each.

i have tried sea hares and turbo snails. bought 100 snails about two weeks ago and I can only count about 15 or so now. I think my hermit crabs are killing them off. :(

I to am fighting it right now. Water is testing fine but I am waiting for my new, and old since it did not work, RO/DI units to come back then I will be removing rock brushing it off and rinsing with clean ro/di with salt. I have about 250lbs of rock this could take a few hours. I have tried hermits, snails, blennies, foxface, tangs, and sea hair to no luck. Not much fun looking at the hair algae farm:)

got 2 Mexican turbo snails and there doing a great job on the algae prob going to get a couple more thanks for the advice, would like to get a lawnmower blenny but tank is too new.

Back