Green Mandarin Dragonet

There are plenty of LFS that carry dragonets. They're usually always in stock. Call to be sure.
Do you know what you're in for? Trying to get them to accept prepared food is a challenging task. You have to have a very good pods population otherwise, it will die of starvation.

Dragonettes don't fare well in tanks often. Even if they accept prepared foods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's why I said often not always :) I had one that took to prepared food but still did not make it. I had him a while but I still think he needed more. Even with supplementing pods.

I have had them in all my past tanks and have had ones that really thrived
However I would not recommend one, the amount of worry they will cause you and the times it will take it to be trained for frozen is not worth it. Also many times you will overfeed your tank trying to get it to eat

I really like these fish I have one now it's my third and the only reason I purchased him is he was eating prepared at the store unlike my other two that didn't last long. I don't suspect he will be long lived I have two Tangs and when its dinner time you just got to get your a** in gear or the food is all gone and they are just not very aggressive. I've had him about six months and he looks good and does eat some at feeding time but I don't think he gets enough.

Jim

PS Maybe some of the older members recall a thread called "Mandarin Dinner" (I think), interesting way to feed these fish I've been thinking of starting to do this. I think you should be able to find it with a search.

Last edited:
I don't own a mandarin but I have always thought they were one of the coolest fish. That made it worth taking Jim Tansey's challenge. The solution goes beyond providing a dinner, you need a diner to serve it in.
I found this on melevsreef solution pages. Now all you have to do is go eat some olives! (the article will explain why.)

http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html

I have a mated pair in a 75g reef that's less than a year old with <50 lbs live rock. The female I bought from an LFS and was in terrible condition. She had a deeply concave stomach, and her entire skeleton was visible. The male was skinny but not terrible... Now they're both obese and spawning. The tank had plenty pods and still does because I spot feed them live white worms 1-2x a day. I split my culture once about every 2 months if someone wants to give it a try.

Back