Greetings Fishy folks!

Shenlung

Tankless Wonder
...or is Fish Heads a better title? Reef Rockers? Oceanic Occupationalists?

.....anyways, I just got my first tank about 3 weeks ago, a well established(5 yr+) 55 gallon with a couple good sized pieces of LR (about 25 lbs, by my guess) a hanging skimmer, dual hanging filters, and the biggest heater I've ever seen, as well as a single powerhead (which is not nearly enough for a reef setup, but I'm working on it!) It also came with a Stars and Stripes puffer ( 6 inches), a Picasso Trigger ( 4.5 inches) and a Red Volitan Lionfish ( 7 inches). A sad mistake by myself cost me the lionfish when I got a nitrate spike that exceeded 150 ppm...because of my slight OCD....I'll explain:

The tank came with all of the above, as well as a whole bunch of empty 5 gallon buckets, a big blue bucket of instant ocean, a hydrometer (floating bulb type with thermometer in it), net, and CHEMICALS!!! YAY!!! :( I used the water clarifier after dumping in the water (which caused a cloud of mythic proportions) in the manufacturers recommended dosage which is one capful (5 ml) for every U.S. Gallon. I put one capful in one filter, one in the other filter, then my OCD kicked in and I dumped the third capful...... in the skimmer. Yes, I am a newb. It promptly regurgitated every lovely thing it had gathered into the water, causing a nitrate spike of almost 125 ppm. Ammonia shot to around 60 ppm and nitrites were about the same. Many frantic emails and phone calls later, I applied amqual+ and things started returning to normal. Fast forward 2.5 weeks, and you find a tank that has stabilized, and an email from someone offering to buy my remaining fish (the trigger, puffer, and wolf eel I purchased prior to the clarifier incident) who happens to know of a wonderful little forum full of people who can help the idiots and uneducated masses such as myself from making silly needless mistakes again....and here we are today.

I have since purchased a Nova Extreme 4x 54watt lighting setup with 2x 10,000k and 2x 4500k actinic bulbs, an LED type moonlight lamp, an assortment of damsels, 3 clowns, an anemone that I have yet to figure out What type it is, and two different corals that I'm not sure about. Needless to say, I have made some mistakes. I probably shouldn't have coral in there yet (although they are doing very well, and the Purple Up isn't hurting the formula either), I seriously need to get rid of the big fish, as they are behind a partition and are thusly taking up valuable real estate from the rest of the tank. I definitely need another powerhead, and I need to convert my old 20 gallon tank into a sump at some point. I have only just begun this wonderful journey in my transition from fresh to salt, and though I have made mistakes, I'm eager to learn how to correct them. I look at the coral reef setups at Rumford pet center (one of my LFS's) and I go "I want that!" and then I come home and sigh, knowing I have a whole lot of work ahead of me before I hit that point.

I can only hope that I don't make too big an a** out of myself before I get there :D

Greetings from Warwick,
Chris

Edit: I refuse to take a picture with the partition in with the big fish, as it's horrid looking and I'm not pleased at all with it yet. The big fish are supposed to be leaving tomorrow night, which will let me do a little fine-tuning of rock/coral placement and some minor algae clean-up....then you'll get your pictures :p

Last edited:
Wow! That was quite a first (second?!) post! I am impressed :) Welcome to the BRS!!!

There are lots of super-smart people here to help you with your questions. Hope to see you at the next meeting!

Welcome to the club Chris, there are alot of people here that are willing to lend a hand, just ask, I'm sure you will see in a very short time what I'm talking about.. :)

WelcomeBRS3.jpg

Oh....you'll have your questions....and as was stated elsewhere, this search engine is POWERFUL! I had 30 or so questions, now I only have two, which I'm going to post in one of the "oh god, oh god, why is my tank on fire!?!?!" forums.

Again, Thanks for the warm welcome everyone,
Chris

One quick question..... is it still acceptable to pay for a membership at the meetings? I was speaking with someone today (don't know the forum name) who said that you can't go to a meeting unless you've paid membership. I don't want to pay for membership online, I'd rather do it in person using cash, as my bank seems to appreciate throwing charges at me if I so much as look at my card, let alone use the thing. I've figured out that the meeting this month will be in Framingham, but I don't know the exact location or time yet.....unless the auction IS the next meeting?

You can goto the meetings if you're not a paid membership but it's def worth the $20 ($25 for family IIRC) and you can do it at the meeting...

yeah, going to the meeting in april, turns out that digital overload is march 6-8th, and it runs until 6 or 7 on the 8th.....$70 a ticket, I'm locked in :( I might get my stuff out early and see if I can make it, but not sure yet.

:w aboard. A paid membership is the way to go. Rumford pet center, as well as many other LFS offer a member discount.

Last edited:
Ok, I've talked to a couple of y'all face to face and got alot of stuff I needed, and even more information, and am now in the process of racing the avalanche that is tank cycling.

Thanks to a member here, my two bubble corals are now being held in a safe house while I work on pulling my head out of my fourth point of contact, I have LS and LR in the tank working on getting through the cycle, and I have a hanging overflow that only needs to get plumbed. It's coming along, but many good little fish paid the ultimate price for my mistakes, and they shall be missed.

On to the good news! The sandstorm is finally subsiding, the hermit crabs are roaming the bottom foraging on whatever it is they forage on, and nitrates/nitrites/ammonia have all dropped down to something approaching the generally accepted .000 ppm. I'm looking around for a CHEAP in-sump skimmer and possibly some plumbing.

I lost my job shortly after I bought the corals, and now funds are unhappily low, and I can't afford to buy the stuff I need, but it's not urgently needed, as I have everything to keep this tank running without livestock for a good while, I just wanted to see if I could get the sump together and plumbed.... I know people out there have stuff sitting in their basement rotting away, I would happily trade computer expertise and/or programs for pvc stuff/heaters/skimmers..... pm me what you want and what you have and we'll work something out.

If you don't have anything, no worries, as I said, this thing can stay like this for a while with only the few crabs in it. Once I figure out where the memory card for my camera went, I'll try and get some pictures up for the picture enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Good luck with the tank... A lot of people's tanks have felt the wrath of a layoff...

ok, for all who have asked, I will be posting pictures of the newly restructured tank tomorrow or the day after. I got a photo bug and went to take a picture and realized my rock layout was horrendous so I started doing some aquascaping..... now I have to wait out the minor sand storm and then get through a 37+ hour transport tomorrow....how fun.

To the one who sold me the green carpet, it's got pink in it in the actinics...absolutely beautiful. Pictures will follow in a while :D

Back