Greetings

Sapooloo

Non-member
Hello all,

My name is Jesse and I hail from the armpit of cape cod:). I kept freshwater tanks for many years when I was younger. I had always wanted to go to salt water but was constantly discouraged from it due to the "extra work they take." Recently my girlfriend got a 44 gallon freshwater tank and made sure to stock it with extremely aggresive fast growing fish. After helping her with her tank for about a month and the constant headaches taht came with it I decided that if I'm going to be caring for headache fish, I may as well care for the fish I actually like.

I now have a FOWLR that has been set up for about 3 months, and I must say with such amazing things as Live Rock, and protein skimmers, that salt water tanks aren't a headache at all.

Now after continued research I've decided that the beauty of a reef tank is well worth the added work. I am now in the information gathering stage of converting my tank from FOWLR to a reef tank. Before I get into my questions I'll give some info on the tank:
90 Gallon
90 lb LR
50lb marco base rock
20 gallon sump (will be converted to a refugium first)
1000gph (will be adding some powerheads to increase the flow to at least 2000gph probably more)
reef octopus in sump protein skimmer rated for a tank of 125 gallon
2x 65w compact fluorescent lights ( will be upgrading when i decide what type of corals i want to keep)
4"DSB
ammonia/nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0-5
ph: 8.3
sg: 1.025
livestock:
coral beauty
6 line wrasse
2xfalse clownfish
lawnmower blenny
golden headed sleeper goby
firefish
2x skunk cleaner shrimp
emerald crab
2x mexican turbo snails

first off are there any books anyone can recommend on reefing? i have read 2 salt water aquarium books they only briefly touched on reefing.

I was thinking of going with a softie tank as I like the way they move with the current and that they seem best for beginners, but they also seem like the most aggressive of corals and i dont know if i want to deal with such aggressive chemical warefare.

I also love SPS though, and have been leaning that way as of late. i have read differeing views whther compact fluorescents can keep them or if you need to go up to MH. My canopy is equiped to house 2x250 watt MH.

i am also interested in an anemone for my clownfish. i know they dont need one but i jsut think its awesome to watch the clowns swimming in the tentacles. should i get the anemone before any corals so taht when i place it in the tank and it wanders to find the ideal home it doesnt kil any corals ive already put in the tank? what would be the best type of corals to keep with an anemone soft lps sps?

im also very curious about LED lighting.

any info is greatly appreciated and i look forward to my interactions with all of you in the future and hopefully meet some of you in person if i can ever find the time to make it to NH for one of the meetings.

WelcomeBRS5.jpg

The meetings travel around, are you very attached to the Coral Beauty?

Welcome to the BRS!
first off are there any books anyone can recommend on reefing? i have read 2 salt water aquarium books they only briefly touched on reefing.
Our meetings float around the area on a monthly basis. The next meeting is in Quincy, which isn't too far away from Dartmouth. Most of us drive an hour to get to a meeting. :) As for books, if you are able to get to a meeting, the club has a pretty good library available at the meetings. This is a perk for paid members, but it saves you from purchasing books. You can get a lot of information and exchange them for others as you learn or need more information.

Good luck!

i do like my coral beauty but the more i read about reefing the more i think i will need to find her a new home. the main problem will becatching her without taking down all the live rock.

thanx for all the welcomes

Back