Group Buy Rules & Regulations <----- Please read
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
So, you think you want to run a group buy/pooled order. Here are some things to keep in mind so you don't end up with a disaster on your hands:

Read the rules:

Keep in mind that your pooled order might quickly become much larger that you were planning on. Depends a lot on what the item is. You can set limits if you like, remember, it's your pooled order, you are doing the work. Try to plan ahead for these problems.

PM's versus eMail:

The PM system on the forum is fairly limited. You might want to consider using an email address instead for communications, or just have people post in the thread (can become confusing fast though). If you use eMail you won't loose track of any messages since you probably won't have to delete any messages.

Paypal Fees:

Decide carefully how you want to run the group buy. If you want people to paypal you $, consider the paypal fees as you might end up 'out' money at the end of the deal. Think carefully if people are paying in cash, after you have the goods. You might find that a significant number of people say they are interested, but after you have fronted the money, they never bother to pick up their stuff. You might also want to get REAL names of people, and their phone numbers.

Pickup and distribution:

Consider carefully how you want to deal with pickup. If it's going to be at a BRS meeting only, make that clear, don't allow exceptions unless you really want to deal with coordinating with a lot of people individually. You might also want to set a date for last pickup....'pick up by X or I toss it'. Make sure that anyone picking up for anyone else is not pulling a fast one on you. Confirm by email that the person that PAID gets the stuff in the end. Try to confirm carefully the details of the order with whatever vendor you choose. Make sure there will be no delay in shipping. Consider the shipping costs, and how it is fair to distribute them. Be honest about what the items cost, the shipping costs, etc. One of the rules of the Pooled orders forum is that you really are not supposed to be making any money off the deal. When I personally participate in a group buy I know what a hassle it is for the person running it, and I generally kick in a few extra $ when I pay for my stuff. Don't be surprised though, you will find some members may quibble over a few pennys. :rolleyes:

The BOD's position on this:

The BRS pooled orders forum is here to allow members to set up their own orders, or for sponsors to set up group buys, etc. Unless the group buy is being coordinated by the leadership of the club, the BOD has NOTHING to do with it. The leadership of the club will not bail you out, cover losses, or resolve disputes. While we are here and might be willing to help, it really is not part of our role to get caught up in the details of any particular pooled order, or other deal that is being run.

For future group buys whomever is running the group buy/pooled order must disclose the source from whom they are ordering. They also need to be upfront about the costs of the order, with everyone understanding that sometimes the shipping cost ends up being a bit uncertain until shipped.

Any exemption to the above policy can only be received from the BRS BOD/officers. To contact them email to BOD and then the little a for at, and then Bostonreefers with a dot and then org. To email the officers just change the BOD to officers.

As an added note, think carefully about what you will do if you are doing a group by for live organisms. What if they all die in transit? Are you prepared to deal with the fallout? It might be better in most cases to leave this type of buy to the sponsors that we have. We regularly have sponsors attend meetings, and bring live stuff right to the meeting...healthy, and hassle free.

Pooled orders/group buys not adhering to the above rules will be deleted.

Any discussions regarding this rule can be posted in the BRS business section.

Collected from @Greg Hiller

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back