GSP Removal.....

irishmarine

Non-member
Hey guys,

So I want to remove all the GSP and start over.....apart from the laborious manual removal which I heard does NOT work long term the stuff just grows back like a weed are there any other recommendations before I consider nuking the tank with FenBendazole....a dewormer but which I heard is the only thing to really work long term
Its a 150 display tank so I dont want to spend hours pulling it all apart and stripping the GSP off the rocks only for it to just come back again

Thoughts...

Heres a good write up on the Fenbendazole method:
https://maxdraco.wordpress.com/2013...ue-cloves-polyps-xenia-aiptasia-hydriods-etc/

Attachments

• Coral1.jpg
    Coral1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 335
  • coral2.jpg
    coral2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 337
  • coral.jpg
    coral.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 332
The person who used FenBendazole to kill xenia and blue clove actually fouled his tank by killing off critters such as flat worm using this dewormer, also resulted in releasing toxin inside these critters and killed off soft corals.
Xenia and blue clove are actually very sensitive to water quality, once they start to melt, they release chemicals and leads to a chain reaction.
Please don’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the manual removal would likely not work and just all come back too?
I dont know why some are swearing by the FenBendazole.....

Well....if anyone wants to trade out large colonies of GSP for whatever shoot me a PM.
I just pulled a few strips and its actually coming off very nicely in large shells of the stuff so transplanting should be simple

Ok so two months maybe after removing every last bit of GSP it is coming back again!

Before it takes over again, as predicted, is there anything that likes to eat GSP? Like I hear with Nudi’s etc????

If not I’m nuking the tank I don’t give a $hit at this point it’s nuke or be nuked

Why not buy some live rock from Dong or someone and swap rock for rock instead of going nuclear? Probably not the cheapest option, but an option. As you clean the rocks you pull you could reuse down the road, or nuke and sell afterwards.

Muriatic acid+your rock+ ro water= no more gsp
I wouldn't purposely nuke your tank, who knows what the rocks will absorb.
There is a gsp eating nudi but good luck finding one

So the manual removal would likely not work and just all come back too?
I dont know why some are swearing by the FenBendazole.....

Because it works, and it's visually reassuring in it's effectiveness which is attractive.
However Dzt's statement on it is true.

I did a .1 mg dose in a 5g jar tank for flatworms once. Looked like a apocalyptic movie scene with nuclear fallout haze for water color for the 3 days I let it dwell. Pretty nasty stuff. Anything, and everything will absolutely die, and the rock will be unusable without a serious cleaning.
I did a similar test using Potassium permanganate, same results.

Unless the rock holds sentimental value, sell it for its coral value, and replace with new since your looking to nuke anyway.

I've managed to kill wide swaths of gsp in the tank, with just kalkwasser paste. You have to kill the flow for 10 minutes with direct contact, but if you don't have any other coral you're worried about protect in there, the biofilter will certainly survive. I pulled it of with tons of LPS, rock nems, zoos and chalices near by. Do one rock at a time. Nice thick paste that won't blow away when you turn the flow on.

Cover it with WaterWeld, give it a week, and it should be dead when you peel off the white clay. Do a rock at a time in case it releases any toxins. I do this for my unwanted pacillipora and leptoseris that try to take over my tank.

Back