Has anyone taken a fish to vet?

Chrissy

Non-member
I have a red headed fairy wrasse that I bought a few weeks ago that has a swim bladder problem. At first it wasn't that bad, but now he's swimming really crazy and upside down, slamming into rocks. I take him in my hand and put him in a breeder net (that I call his playpen) to eat and rest. Other than being upside down and his crazy swimming, he seems healthy and is eating. I saw a video that you can take a syringe and draw the gas out of the swim bladder, but I'm not comfortable trying that myself. What would you guys do? I really want to take him to the vet because I'm attached, but I know it's going to cost a lot more than I want to pay.

Here's Carl...

I think you would have better luck with an experienced diver that has caught fish in deep waters on this forum (if there is one!). I have never heard of a vet for fish...

I actually used to work with a "fish vet" and he even did surgery on fish. Typically, our main clients were owners of koi and other goldfish mostly due to the great value of the fish. They also were very susceptible to swim bladder problems as well. I see nothing wrong with taking a fish to a vet if the fish is worth it to you and you are willing to pay the bill. Too often, the value of an animal's life is determined by replacement cost only. The biggest problem is going to be finding a qualified vet. Also, there may be little that can be done in this case. Swim bladder problems are not always correctable and the stress of transport of marine fish can be a challenge, too. Good luck.

Back