Hello All (frags, greeting, meeting info)

Piscevore

elsewhere
I just joined Boston Reefers, and I've signed up for my forum access. I've got a 20 gallon (v. small, I know) tank with some gorgeous brazillian and fiji LR. I have 2 true perculas, a number of mushroom corals that just pop out of the LR, and a unknown cactus like looking plant (Seaweed?) that seems to be growing very well. My detritus kit is 4 turbos, 6(they hide a lot) hermit crabs of varying type, and a 130 watt Custom Sea life p.c. that keeps enough algae on the glass to keep everyone full. I also have a smallish Haitian Long tip or haitian purple tip that seems to be thriving.

I intend to buy a 90-120g in the next few months, perhaps after MACNA. I've been making aquiantences and doing my research, basically biding my time to get a good deal on a RR Tank w/ extras.

I will be attending the meeting this saturday, and I thought I'd bring some cash and a bucket just in case someone has a little piece of this or that to toss in my tank. I don't have a significant amount of knowledge concerning corals yet, because I don't have the real estate or setup to really pursue it yet. Still, I wanted to say hi all, and hopefully learn a lot!

Welcome!
(Anybody got some flashy animation?)

Used tanks are a great deal. Keep an eye on the Equipment forum here and over at Reef Central.

Welcome to the club! I have some xenia you can throw in your tank just swing by and pick it up

Dubge said:
Welcome to the club! I have some xenia you can throw in your tank just swing by and pick it up

Thanks Dugbe!

When you say swing by, do you mean to peabody? I'm currently vehicularly challenged, but something could be arranged. I'd love to drop in some polps, particularly something relatively fast growing like the xenia.

Welcome. There are actually a number of people who are running tanks around the 20-30 gallon size, and even more who started that way. It's not a bad place to start in my opinion.

How long has your tank been set up? What are you hoping to put in it?

Nate

welcomemat.gif

fish_welcome.gif

To Boston Reefers Society & the New Forum!!!

NateHanson said:
Welcome. There are actually a number of people who are running tanks around the 20-30 gallon size, and even more who started that way. It's not a bad place to start in my opinion.

How long has your tank been set up? What are you hoping to put in it?

Nate

I actually got this tank from a friend. It was previously a 10 gal show tank. I added another 15 lbs of LR, 10lbs of pre-seeded sea-chem sand (just to help the move), stuck on a nice P.C. and its been running for about 1.5 mos. It never cycled to speak of since I got it, so it was very stable through the move. I kept the water from the 10, the sand, put in all the LR, and it just works. The water is clear and Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia are always good. The PC is definately helping the algae to grow on the glass, but my inverts are hungry and so far they've kept it at bay. I've got a very large for a 20g tank protein skimmer, a couple HOB power filters, and a power head to boot, so there is plenty of current. I dose with a drip for about 8 hours once a week, Kent marine soup, 5 different bottles(iodine, stront/molyb,calc,vitamins, Something else), no kalk yet. I don't know where i'm heading from here. I'd like to get a larger tank, and put a eensy hippo tang into it :) I don't know enough about corals and clams yet. I need to learn more!

Are you testing for any of the things you are dosing? The only thing I add is calcium and my water changes take care of everything else. I have read a couple of things about people adding Iodine and it causing problems

testing

I am dosing because I was told I must for a small tank! The calcium and reef vitamins are supposed to be pretty harmless regardless, Stront/Molyb same deal. Iodine, not so sure. If I dose, stuff definately starts showing up in my skimmer, and it is very possible all I'm doing is adding stuff for the skimmer to remove. Not really sure. Lots of people use Kalkwasser or Calcium reactors, I just don't know enough about it.

I haven't tested the GH or Dissolved solids in the salt water, but my water is hard-ish from the tap. I don't have a KH test kit, i've heard they're wonderfully unreliable. I test PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrate, Temp on a regular basis (3x weekly) and I do a lengthy visual inspection daily ;)

A good rule is not to dose anything unless you are testing for it that way to do not add to much or to little

My .02

Just read the calcium thread

I'm definately a noob. I read the longish post about dosing small tanks, and i'm probably going to be spending some money saturday afternoon from the sounds of things 1) on a few test kids 2) on either kalkwasser or some sort of calcium treatment plan. yay

Hey Fishy Fishy Piscevore.....

If your tank is up and proven, send me a PM. I'm not going to make it to the meeting, but I always have zoas, monti digi and other goodies for newbies. BRS was good to me when I was ...um...less salty, so it's time for me to return the favor.

Welcome aboard.

David

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back