Hello! Back after 10 years...

mrplayer67

Non-member
Hi Guys,

What a great forum you have here. I've been reading for the last few days and can't wait to get the ball rolling on bringing my tank back to life. I took it out of storage today. If memory serves the tank is 65 gallons. Reef read tank by Oceanic. The filer uses bio balls. After that I am learing it all again. I read that you all like pictures so here is my tank and filter:

tank.jpg

filter.jpg

I am looking to have a farily simple tank set up. May be down the road I can try the whole reef thing, but would like to start slow and easy (not that maintaning any salt tank sis "easy"). So fish only, but can see that live rock has it's bio-benefits, so would like to try that out too.

I do have some questions, probably A LOT of questions...

I used dolomite the last time I had this tank in use (about a decade ago). Still a good option? I see a lot of you use sand..I like the way that looks better, but I am guessing it might be trickier to manage? I also so saw aragonite live sand at Pet Co... Looked intresting. So the question is, based on ease of management and function, what should I get for the bottom?

Is my bioball filter system god enough, or have things changed so much that I should consider updating it. Think those 10 year old balls are ok to use? ;-)

My plan is to go really slow. Clean this thing up. Get some sand/surface materials in and get salt water into the tank. That's as far as I want to plan for now...

I live in Foxboro, where are the most local/good stores? I went to the taunton/galleria mall store last night. Cool place, listening in, sounds like they know their stuff. The last time I had this tank running I lived in NY and had a GREAT shop near by. That seemed important to me, to make sure I stay on track, so any recomendations are greatly apreciated.

Thanks for having me, this forum is awesome - I know I am going to leanr a ton just reading and reading.

Jim

Last edited:
Welcome back to the hobby, I would ditch the bio balls. Look into protien skimmers. I would also put fresh water in the tank just to make sure it's still holding water.

Thanks for the reply jango. Good idea about checking the tank with fresh water - I will definitely do that when cleaning it, thanks!

Is it safe to assume that most protein skimmers will easily work with my existing hoses and sump box? Do they connect right from the bulkhead where the hose comes from the bottom of the tank, and then dump into the second compartment of the sump to be pumped back into the tank? Or am I missing something about how they may connect? I guess I am just trying to understand what to look for in a skimmer to know it will work with what I have.

Also, my lighting is obviously old, should I get just get new bulbs op if they light, it’s good enough? They are florescent, I see many people are suing LED's now. What are the benefits to that type of lighting?

Thanks for any advice anyone might have time to give,

Jim

it depends on what type of skimmer

for a a hang on back skimmer, the skimmer will hang right on the back of tank.
for an in sump skimmer, the skimmer will sit in the first chamber of the sump where you see the fireballs now.

for that tank size, you go with a 36" T5 to start out with

You will need other stuffs like rocks as well.

Check out the "BRS Market" place for used equipments and other stuffs. it's a great way to save money by buying used stuffs from reef fellows.

Another option would be to ditch the sump/filter you currently have and buy the biggest empty tank you can fit under your tank and use that for a sump. It will give you more room and you can get a good in sump skimmer. If you are going to spend money on equipment I would recommend buying the biggest one you can afford and that will fit in your sump. I would consider this to be the most important part of your system.

Also I wouldn't bother with the live sand from petco, use what ever sand looks good to you (aquarium grade) and get a cup or 2 of live sand from a fellow reefer to seed your sandbed.

As for lighting if you are doing fish only then do not worry about lighting, buy bulbs only if you want a different look from the bulbs that are in there. The fish do not care what you have for lighting :) Also if you decide you want to keep corals then decide what you want to keep for corals and go from there, if you like soft corals and some easier LPS then you can do PC or T-5, if you want to keep SPS and clams look into metal halide bulb(s) With the right LED bulbs you can keep most anything and they are very easy on the electric bill but they can be very expensive to buy, though I still prefer good old MH bulbs.

Welcome to the BRS Jim!

To be honest, I think you'll be fine keeping the old equopment if it's just going to be a fish only setup. Bioballs are nitrate factories but nitrates affect corals differently than fish.

We have some great LFS in our sponsors section.

Took a ride to Water World in Harmony, RI today...oops they are gone. Last week I tried to go to Saltwater Paradise
in Walpole, also gone.

Had hoped to get some sand, live rock and buy some RO/DI salt water. Also still need to SEE the protein skimmers to get comfortable with using it with my existing sump or not. I am not making very much progress.

I guess I should just buy the RO/DI filter system, it's just $100+ expense I wasn't planning on, and I have read a bunch and watched videos and still have little idea how those things work or how they are hooked up.

I feel a little chicken/egg when it comes to all the components I need and not being able to stand in a store and talk to someone is aggravating. I wanted a LOCAL place.Guess I am driving to Boston tomorrow or next weekend...

Welcome. The ro/di unit is a good investment in the long run. Skipton's in Boston is a great store. Talk to Brenden or some of the others for good advice. They have reasonable prices and there is a 10% discount on livestock for BRS members.

Take your time and go slowly, it will pay off in the long run. Put in sand and rock. keep checking water chemistry, especially ammonia, pH, and nitrates to begin with. Wait 30 days or so and then add snails and small crabs which are detritus eaters. in another 30 days add a few small fish and then increase not adding too many at a time.

Good luck with the tank,
Oceanguy

Ok, I am going to think more about the RO/DI unit. i like the info at Air, Water and Ice (thanks for that lead).

I am still curious how these things operate - I read a ton but am still baffled how this works from a physical standpoint (I get that they clean the water and what those benefits are). Do these have to be installed, like plumed /hard lined into the water system in my house or can they connect to a sink or hose or something? Also, the containers look small. Can you just hook this thing up and run water though it, and collect the clean water right then? How long to make 10 gallons? Or do you have to have a permanent spot and “hard wire” it into a water supply, get large receptacles and then wait hours for results?

When you buy RO/DI from a lfs how do you transport that much water? My tank is 65 gallons... I guess for regular water changes it's easier, but still, 10 galls, 20 gallons... Does the store provide containers, or what do you use?

there are 2 great places in your area, Coral reef aquarium in Seekonk...( Great livestock, but not much for equipment), and Sea creature in N providence... He pertty much has everything under the sun.

Back