Help:Goby not eating.

Syris

FishboyBill
I got a yellow clown goby a couple weeks ago for my 45g and he has not eaten since I got em. I tried a variety of foods-frozen foods, cyclopeeze, mysis shrimp, flake. He showed no interest at all and is practically skin and bones now. The only fish in the 45g are a purple firefish, bangai cardinal, flasher wrasse that do not harass the goby. But I still decided to move him to my 29g fuge on my other tank since there are no fish in the fuge. I figure with all the live bugs/food he would eat. But as far as I know he has eaten nothing yet.
He is slowly wasting away. Is there any suggestions on what else I could do or try?

TIA

Hey Bill -

Try to grab some live brine from somewhere. Put some Selcon into a small containier with a portion of the shrimp, and let them suck up the Selcon for an hour or so. Feed a bunch of them to the goby and see if he goes for them. Live brine usually gets their attention. The Selcon will help get some added nutrition into the fish right away if he takes it.

If he does.. feed just the live brine for a few days, then begin adding some forzen stuff unitl the ratios flip... and you've got more frozen than live (over 4-5 days).

Good luck,

bec

I have 2 yellow clown gobies and they have been nipping my staghorn so much that it is starting to die

Ray -

Clown goies are as cute as anything, but there have been many, many reports like yours. They apparently clear off patches of SPS to lay eggs... often killing the coral in the process (at least the ones in our tanks... huge colonies in the wild can tolerate the constant irritation). I had a bunch at one point, but pulled them for that reason. They now live in my frag tank, and don't seem to mees with the frags at all for some reason.

b

they are almost impossible to catch during the day. mine always sat in a montipora digitata so one night i took the whole colony out with him sleeping on it.

Mine was easy to get out of the 45g and into the fuge but thats because hes not in the best of health right now.:(
For most fish I use a clear container and heard them towards it with a net or something and they usually end up swimming right into the container.

BTW I'm glad my goby (if he makes it) will be in my softy/LPS tank and not my SPS tank after reading some of your experiences.

Bill -

They would be awesome in a softie tank. I love mine.. they're like little birds hoping from 'tree' to tree.

Ray -
Mine were easy to pull because they loved the friggin corals so much. Just like Peter says, I pulled the entire colonies they were in at the time (except I pulled mine in broad daylight), and they stayed right in the corals! Just gently shook them out into a bucket and delivered them to their new homes. I've done the same thing = not on purpose= with them in the frag tank. They're pretty stubborn 'perchers.'

b

Back