HELP!! Need loaner HOT skimmer or a Sicce pump

Ultramarine

www.lisabohnwagner.com
My SWC HOT Extreme skimmer crashed last Friday. I've had it for 9 months and have had frequent problems with it, but now it simply won't start (Pump chugging, but won't prime and start running). After spending several hours doing whatever I could think of to fix it and several emails to SWC, I finally just decided to order a new Sicce pump. So I ordered one from Salty Supply (Marine Depot and a couple others were backordered) on Tue with overnight shipping. They haven't shipped it yet, are not answering the phone and haven't replied to my voicemail or email. I've had no filtration on my 55 gal reef since last Friday!!! I'm going away for the weekend Friday afternoon and then leaving the country for a week next Wed morning and I don't know what to do. Besides constant water changes.

If anyone know how to fix this thing, or where I can get a sicce pump real quick or can loan me a skimmer I would REALLY appreciate it!!!!

Your tank should be fine with no skimmer for a few days.

To try to get the pump running;
first, plug it in and blow really hard into the airline. (yup, this really does work sometimes).
Second, take the pump apart and clean it in vinegar (if you haven't already). Let it soak overnight if needed.
Third, if it still won't restart after cleaning, hold it in a buckett of water and carefully give the needle wheel a push with something that is soft enough that it won't hurt it (back end of a tooth brush might work).

If it still won't run, and MD doesn't actually have your pump, you could try avastmarineworks.com they should have the pump for a good price (but I don't know that they will sell one without the skimmer to go with it??)

Thanks, John!

I tried your first and second ideas already, guess I should take the damn thing apart again and try your third idea. I guess I should try to cancel the order with Salty Supply and get the part elsewhere since they're not responding to me at all.

When you took it apart, was the needlewheel moving freely on the ceramic shaft, or was the shaft stuck/frozen? Also look at the bushings on the ends of the shaft, sometimes with some pumps they can be installed incorrectly which can then cause the pump to freeze up. (Sorry if I'm describing the parts poorly, I've only taken a sicce apart once and then I wasn't really paying attention)

Everything was clean as a whistle and moving freely. I just took it apart 2-3 weeks ago to clean it because it was acting up - and 2-3 weeks before that and 2-3 weeks before that. This thing has been causing me alot of trouble. I guess it finally decided to give up the ghost.

Huh, I have heard of a lot of people having issues with these pumps. I've had two and both never gave me any problems, but then again I never ran one longer than a few months.

I think I heard somewhere that there is an older and a newer version. Hmm, that reminds me, IIRC Dave (afboundguy) just replaced one that was working but noisy. Try PM'ing him, maybe you could buy, or borrow his old one as a temp while you are away?

Back