Help replacing Tunze 6095 controller

mvallee

Non-member
I need to see if anyone has any experience replacing the controllers on Tunze Power heads?
I have two tunze 6095 Power heads side by side in my tank and cleaned them yesterday. Everything went well, reinstalled and all seemed good until this morning when I noticed the pumps were not running. Opening the cabinet there was some water in the bottom and picking up the controllers they both were dripping water. For some reason it seems water ran down the cable straight into the controllers. Still not really sure what happened as they run up and out of the tank but is only thing that makes sense.

Controllers are shorted out, power supplies were blinking, one controller got pretty melted and stinks like burnt electronics so I know that one is junk. The other does not seem to be as damaged, probably junk but will have to wait and see once it dries out. Power supplies stayed dry and when I plug them in the LED is solid green so they may have been spared.

the thing with these controllers is they are hard wired straight to the power head, no connectors. I took them apart and one of the cables will probably be fine the other is questionable. I have to think the pumps are fine and the power supplies are probably ok just need to figure out how to replace controller(s)
Any advice/experience would be appreciated, they are only like 6 months old so a pretty big investment to just toss and buy all new if they can be fixed.
IMG_20200406_175316.jpg
IMG_20200406_175348.jpg
IMG_20200406_175355.jpg

Message Roger (rvitko) with tunze on R2R. Or just post in the Tunze sub forum there and he will help you out. He runs all the state side service and parts for Tunze. Awesome customer service btw.

seems crazy but I left the power heads in the tank and just had the wires that you can see in my above images on the floor. To my surprise there was a small puddle on the floor where the cables ended this morning.

Outside of cables are dry so not dripping down the cable, just like yesterday when I was trying to figure out where the water was coming from and all cables were dry. I pick up the cables and water is dripping out from the cable end.
cable.JPG

so water is somehow traveling from inside the cable.

I feel like it has to be wicking through because I do have a decent loop at the top and the drip drip I do not think could be a siphon still being maintained
cableloop.JPG

Anyone see anything like this before?

@jah-hoeva I do plan on reaching out as you suggested, thank you

Take a look at the part where the cable meets the motor. There may be a crack there. I have seen this before on one of my older generation of Maxspect Gyre.

Message Roger (rvitko) with tunze on R2R. Or just post in the Tunze sub forum there and he will help you out. He runs all the state side service and parts for Tunze. Awesome customer service btw.
I reached out to Roger and so far very happy, he seems to think the covering of the cable was not completely sealed on the motor side allowing water to get in and seep down into the controller causing the water damage, He is going to replace the one pump and controller and repair the other one that was damaged by the water for free. that is really all I can ask for.
Still waiting on details where to ship and such but as of now very happy with Tunze response and they really seem to stand behind their products.

Back