Help with my clowns and anemone

mtpkts13

Non-member
So I'm sure it's been asked a million times but is there anything I can do to help in the hosting process? I've got a pair of nearly naked clowns and a beautiful sebae that they seem to want nothing to do with! I bought them because they were hosting a sebae at the LFS so I figured it would be a no brainer, they seem more interested in the corner of my tank most of the time.

try taking a tv and placing it next to where they are. then run a video over and over of clowns hosting a nem. thats how i got my clowns to host a rbta it took only a day of them watching the video

Someone on here had a post about using a laser light and the clown fish would follow the light into the anemone.

try taking a tv and placing it next to where they are. then run a video over and over of clowns hosting a nem. thats how i got my clowns to host a rbta it took only a day of them watching the video
I don't know if you're serious or not! Either way I'm sitting on my couch laughing hysterically.

I don't know if you're serious or not! Either way I'm sitting on my couch laughing hysterically.

No really, it's a new angle on an old idea. The low tech version is to tape a picture of a clown on the glass near the nem, high tech is a TV :)

I think what actually happens is the clown natuarlly recognizes the form of another clown and natural territorial aggression kicks in, live clown goes over to pick a fight and finds itself in the nem and suddenly feels at home....

Add three more clown fish. Then it will guard its anemone.

One of my clowns jumped out of the tank, so I bought three more to end with four. I put them in and they all fought ferociously for a few hours, even the three buddies that were together at the store. Now I have 4 clowns guarding four areas of the tank, and two are hosting . One is hosting a toadstool, and one is hosting an anemone.

No really, it's a new angle on an old idea. The low tech version is to tape a picture of a clown on the glass near the nem, high tech is a TV :)

I think what actually happens is the clown natuarlly recognizes the form of another clown and natural territorial aggression kicks in, live clown goes over to pick a fight and finds itself in the nem and suddenly feels at home....

- John why do you have a TV in front of your tank?
- I am teaching my clown fish how to act like a clown fish.

You guys are awesome! Im gonna try the pic first then more clowns. Have to wait till next week, blew this weeks budget when the Vortech showed up! the thing is insane, I love it.

i wouldnt go more clowns route. as they will fight all the time and might even kill each other. also you will have a hard time removing them after your clowns host. either try the pic or the tv its the easest and the cheapest. please dont go the route of adding more clowns

i wouldnt go more clowns route. as they will fight all the time and might even kill each other. also you will have a hard time removing them after your clowns host. either try the pic or the tv its the easest and the cheapest. please dont go the route of adding more clowns

I've got to agree with this ^ . In nature groups work out (with less dominant males kind of laying in wait in case something happens to the paired male), in a confined tank not so much (not impossible, but odds are 4 clowns will whittle themeslves down to two)

I'm having the same issue, at night the 4 baby clowns go in the corner on the sand so last night I put the anemone there. When I checked at 2am, the bigger clown looked like it was hosting in it so I went to bed. Today none of them will go near it.

I think you should just give it some time. I've had clowns jump right in to the anemone after a day or two and for other if took a few weeks to a month but they always have hosted. But that has been my experience. Like just about everything in this hobby it takes time.

There are many anemone look like seabae but they are not. Especially sold in chain stores

Thanks to everyone for the advice! Not to worry I'm not too keen on adding more clowns personally, I bought two to start hoping to pair them, I lost the male and felt horrible about it. I named the female Jodi since she killed her first man and I introduced another, luckily there was less agression and they paired fairly easily so I'm content with two. I'm 99% sure this is a sebae, I don't buy at chain stores and I feel like the owner is a pretty decent dude (a little pricey sometimes but fair nonetheless) I'm trying the pic thing I dont have an extra tv right now since I spent all my money on a Vortech!!:highly_amused:

actually for NO reason at all, the female clown has taken over the GBTA. i did hold my fone light to the BTA at night time, she jumped in, then stayed there that night, the next day she didnt touch it at all, and now today she won't leave it alone.

Back