Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish picking on my crabs?

honeypotGlen

Non-member
I bought a beautiful Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish from my LFS the other day. Both the guy at the store and the FS website describe it as peaceful, but I've caught it picking at my Emerald and Scarlet Hermit crabs. The Scarlet Hermit has now gone to that great reef in the sky. Anyone else out there with a similar experience with this fish?

Of course, this is a fish only tank. :p

It's alive!

It's alive! My scarlet hermit is still alive afterall. He just seems to hide more, because of his new tank mate.:D The emeral crabs are a lot more careful, too. I've nerver seen them shoot into the LR so quickly, as when the Heniochus comes by.

Last edited:
Heniochus are NOT reef safe. The "peaceful" category for the fish on liveaquaria (I'm assuming that's what you meant by the FS website) is in regards to other FISH. Right below that you will see that it is listed as NOT reef compatible. Butterflies eat inverts, its what they do...

Hmmm. Maybe I missed something. As I said earlier, this is a fish only aquarium, but there is live rock, starfish, peppermint shrimp, and crabs. I mentioned this to the LFS, and he said all of that is OK, but definitely no coral. The compatibility chart on liveaquaria says "with caution" for inverts.

Last edited:
Back