heresy

The one thing I want to know about Petco...if you goto LFS's they will tell you petco collects via chemicals...but if you ask petco they say they dont...who to beleive and more importantly is there any proof one way or another.

I doubt many of our LFS really know how their fish are collected. They're mostly buying from distributors in CA, and I'm sure they're getting fish from many collection sites. And even if they could keep track of each fish's history, you'd have to count on every collector and distributor telling the truth along the way.

I think we'd best concentrate on good husbandry and education at the LFS when deciding where to spend our money.

Nate

im not surprised...

though I must say...I have had much better luck with fish from lfs then petco....

my wife says "no no fish from here, everyone dies." we go in and browse every once in a while.

That was what I heard too. Petco got their saltwater fish from the same places as most LFS got theirs. some LFS just want you to buy their fish for double the price you will pay in Petco.

There is nothing wrong to buy from Petco.

Petco does use a couple of the largest wholesalers in the industry, but they aren't really the ones most of your local LFS's are using. When superstores are your main customers, it's not hard to be the "largest". I would be surprised if any local store bought from a petco supplier with any regularity.

clamm said:
im not surprised...

though I must say...I have had much better luck with fish from lfs then petco....

my wife says "no no fish from here, everyone dies." we go in and browse every once in a while.

Funny that your wife says that, my 4 year old daughter says the same thing. I haven't bought a salt water fish from there, but every fresh water fish we bought from there has died within a week of getting them home. Now, even when we drive by Petco, she says "that is the place with fish that die!!" Gotta love 4 year olds :D

As for LFS. I have bough all of my fish except one from one of our sponsers. My experience with this store has been excellent, and all of the livestock I have gotten there has been and is still doing well.
-Brian

Back