Hermit Babys

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
i am sitting at my desk at work and i happen to look over at my tank to see my clowns in a feeding frenzy. when i took a closer look i saw one of my hermits right up front pushing what looks like thousands of babys out of its shell. it pulls it shell back and then pushes it down real fast and out comes more. i wish i had a camera with me its really cool to watch. from the looks of it i wont need to buy anymore hermits for a while ( woohoo free stuff lol )

i didnt have a camera since its on my desk at work unfortuntly. i am not sure how long it will take foer them to get big enough for shelss but i have seen some pretty small hermits before so i guess i better stock up on little shells

If your sitting at your desk at work and you left your camera on your desk at work take a picture.

Jim

You dont think they will become coral food?

And that is freakin awsome! you must have a nice little setup going on for the crabs to breed... what kinda crab is it?

jov they are just the common red hermits and yes im sure most wont make it but in a 7 gallon tank i dont need 100 lol if 4-5 make it im good

Jim Tansey said:
If your sitting at your desk at work and you left your camera on your desk at work take a picture.

Jim
jim i meant that the tank is on my desk not the camera, but since i just bought a new camera i will probably take the old one to work now

I guessing here, but I think that hermits are likely to have a planktonic stage which means it's unlikely you could every have any survive. I did hear of one guy claiming he raised hermits, IN his reef tank, but I wonder whether he just had some smaller ones and wasn't counting that carefully.

Very cool you saw them release young, that's something I've never seen a hermit do.

greg they were definatly moving around though, so if by some chance they survive ( the ones that were not clown food ) ill let you know

What Type of hermit crab are they? I'm curious because it seems like you could actually see the babies. whenever my hermits spawn, all there is is a kind of reddish white cloud until it disperses as coral food.

it is just a common red. it was interesting to watch because he would lift his shell and you could see a pile of babies, then he would push his shell down fast and shot out a bunch. he did this several times before he finished. and yes i could see them move, and i only say that they move because there is no flow where they were and they were going in all directions. at first i thought it was a bunch of pods but then i saw the hermit shaking em loose

Back