Hi

somewhereinri

Big guy, small tank
Hi, I'm Scott from Rhode Island.

I grew up having an aquarium for most of my younger years, the bulk of the time, a successful 20g tank of Black Mollies.

I am new to the Saltwater end of the hobby. I look forward to learning from your experiences. Thanks for having me.

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Welcome to the salty side Scott. Good luck! Are you looking to keep just fish, or will you be starting up a reef?

Welcome to the nice cheap inexpensive hobby of saltwater tanks :p

Welcome to the salty side Scott. Good luck! Are you looking to keep just fish, or will you be starting up a reef?

I am planning on a fish-only for now. Crawling, before walking. I hope to set up my tank with a nice single-peak mound of live rock, a Randalls Goby and either a Citron Goby or a Foxface Rabbitfish, and a shrimp or two... That's the goal for now.

How big of a tank are you starting with?(I say "starting because most everyone upgrades;)). Rabbitfish like some space to swim. Gobies are nice, but can be territorial, so do some research when choosing which one(s) to put in.

I just purchased a 14gal Biocube to start.

From what I have read so far, either combination should be okay as far as compatability. However, before any purchase I'll ask around on people's experience with the fish, and run it by my vendor... once I find one.

Yikes! No rabbitfish for the 14g cube :eek: They need lots of space, and they get big pretty fast. You would have to relocate it in no time, which is no fun for you.

There are a lot of possibilities for a smaller tank for fish, though, especially a fish only tank. there are some fish that people would love to have in their reefs, but cannot because the fish are polyp eaters.

Good to know! Any suggestions then for small, vividly colored, peaceful, hardy, inexpensive additions to the tank?

ETA- Did know about the venomous part, but didn't think that would be a huge concern. Was that an incorrect assumption?

Depends, some people have a more serious reaction than others. I just wouldn't want to be the one to find out that I was a person with a serious reaction.::

Damselfish are good in a small tank. Cardinalfish are very peaceful, and pajama cardinals are rather interesting and colorful. You've already looked into gobies, which are great as well. A pair of clowns are great, but then you may get interested in an anemone, which has a lighting requirement. If you end up an anemone (with lighting) then you may as well start a reef. :p I know, I'm less than helpful with keeping your vision in mind. :cool:

Welcome. If you keep your hands out of the tank you will be fine. A good addition would be a clownfish or maybe even an orchid dottyback

Welcome. I agree with a clown or maybe a royal gramma. Lots of options.

Just go out and by a big tank now, that will give you more options. lol

2nd on the no Rabbitfish in a 14, How about a Yasha Gobie and Purple Firefish for a nice splash of color.

Back