Hitchiker ID please ...

RayD

The Chicago Experience!
Found this guy in a dead coral. Is he good or bad? Don't want to put him back in the tank without knowing.

PICT0332.jpg

Here's a response I got on RC ...

"It's Alpheus lottini and it's an obligate commensal living only on Pocillopora. They're among the beneficial commensals that help clean & protect the coral they live in return for the coral mucus on which they feed. A. lottini is often found together with Trapezia ferruginea. Interestingly enough, if one of these alpheids moves to a new coral it has to appease the crab livng there first and there are a ritual they go through before acceptance."

Well that's exactly where he came from a large Pocillopora that bleached out in my tank and the crab that was living in the coral was released back into the reef. I probably sentenced it to death without realizing since there is no Acro big enough for this guy to settle into.

I guess the shrimp goes in the fuge to finish out his days. :confused:

I did a lookup on Alpheus lottini (the shrimp) and Trapezia ferruginea (the rusty guard crab) and I messed up. The crab is back in the reef but no Pocillipora for it to migrate to (or any other sizeable acros for that matter).

The shrimp ended up in the fuge. Probably won't survive there. :( It is for the record a snapping shrimp.

Learn something new every day I guess.

So it ended up that he was a VERY cool critter but needs Pocillipora to live on and feed.

Back