How long should I have my lights on?

Mrs Fish

obsessed!
I have three sets of lights and am trying to figure out when each set should go on and off.

These are actinics, MH, moon lights.

Here's what I thought:

11am - actinics on
noon - MH on
8pm - Actinics and MH off, moon lights on
midnight - moon lights off

Not sure if I can leave moonlights on all night.

Is 8-9 hours of light too short or long?

I was timing it so when we're in the room in the evening we can enjoy the tank.

Mrs Fish

My schedule is:
12PM Actinic On
1PM MH On

10PM MH Off
11PM Actinic Off

Moonlighs can stay on all night.

I'm not home until 6pm, and for the summer have my lights staggered to avoid the heat of (3) 250w MH on all at the same time

9a - 1st light on
I also have a Lights of America 6.5k that goes on at 11a & off at 11pm
11am 2nd light on
5pm 1st light off
6pm 3rd light on (center)
7pm 2nd light off
11-midnight (adjustable) last light off

When the moonlights go in I will run them from 11p-maybe 3-4am
When I connect actinics I will change the lighting schedule
Actinics 6p-11p

Length of time for light cycle depends upon what you have for corals, and what they need for light. I'm actually considering cutting my light cycle back to 6 hours since I have mostly softies

Sounds like I can even extend my actinics to be on for 9 hours with actinics one hour either side .. that's what I'll probably do ... and leave moon lights on all nights.

counteracts PH drop after lights out

My schedule
9:30AM actinics on
12:30 Middle halide on
1:00pm end halides on
8:00pm middle halide off
8:30pm end halides off
9:30pm actinics on Moonlights on

Last edited:
Didn't know there was a PH drop after lights out ... maybe I'll do that with my fuge lights too.

It has to do with photosynthesis. From what I gather, photosynthesis causes the PH to rise. So if all your lights are out it causes a dip. If you have a refugium and set its schedule to the opposite of your tank, it makes the PH drop less, and sometimes barely noticeable.

my shcedule(completely different than everyone else)
6 am actinics on
8 am mh on
6 pm mh off
8 pm actinics off
8 pm moonlights on
6 am moonlights off
hope this helps
Duds

1:00pm actinics on
1:30pm left halide on
1:40pm right halide on
10:00pm left halide off
10:10pm right halide off
10:40pm actinics off

Steve

Should her light cycle be this long while the tank is first cycling to try and avoid any algae blooms?

Andy O said:
Should her light cycle be this long while the tank is first cycling to try and avoid any algae blooms?
That's true, I didn't think of that. I only put my lights on for a couple hours a day while cycling.

I'll just run them for a few hours and build up to a 9 or 10 hour full light show over the next few weeks.

Take it slow with the lights. Until you start to have things in the tank other than the live rock there is no real need for long periods of light -- especially if you want to keep algae outbreaks to a minimum at the beginning.

Back