How long should I wait after upgrading tanks to introduce more fish?

iammitch3479

Non-member
Upgraded from a 55 to a 120 on saturday the 14th, used new sand but old live rock that's already been cycled. All levels look good, there was a mini cycle a day after the transfer but everything looks good now. I have 2 percs a flame angel, 1 chromi, and a wrasse (not sure what kind). Just wondering how long i should wait before I go and pick up like a couple more chromis or something?

Pictures!: http://imgur.com/a/Nrbhv

Last edited:
How long has it been? I made the mistake of adding a powder blue after a month of upgrading from 55 to 200gallons. Got a bad case of ick and needless to say, I lost all of my previous fish.
If you to add fish and you feel comfortable, go slow and add small amount of fish at a time. I know seeing the extra room in the tank is real tempting to add all these fishes you haven't been able to keep in your smaller tank but your patience will be worth it.

Thank Coral Junkie, and this is me, it has been about a week so not even that long. I wasn't looking for anything with a crazy bio load, or a fragile fish just maybe 2 or 3 chromis to start.

A week is too premature to add anything new IMO. I think a couple of chromis won't be enough of satisfaction and you will want more and that's where you can get yourself in trouble.

I think that you can add fish slowly and by that I mean one at a time. The tank you have has enough bacteria to handle your tank load. As you add more, if the surface availability is there it will increase proportionality. Just go slow.

As for TIM getting ick from a powder blue, I think that problem is more because of the fish than its bioload.

And, btw, Nick TIM has a sweet tank so my advice is all "subjective".

Good luck

Just tank swapped on the 14th tho, I'd wait a bit. Did you do new sand or rock or anything along w the swap? There may be a mini cycle that will happen. Just my thoughts tho

Made the same mistake when I upgraded . just be patient . take your time and pick out the fish you will REALLY want . the wait will be worth it

I used new sand but old rock. there was a mini cycle, I am getting a brown algae bloom right now actually so I'm on my way. I decided to wait for 2 reasons. 1) I have already made the mistake of rushing things in this hobby, trying not to repeat that. 2) I'm broke haha so theres that now, damned university parking tickets

I used new sand but old rock. there was a mini cycle, I am getting a brown algae bloom right now actually so I'm on my way. I decided to wait for 2 reasons. 1) I have already made the mistake of rushing things in this hobby, trying not to repeat that. 2) I'm broke haha so theres that now, damned university parking tickets

Being broke definitely help with being patience in this hobby. :D
You go to UML? I'm a UML graduate and yeah, parking is a zoo.

Back