How long to fallow?

gingthegreat1

Non-member
So I had the classic learning experience with putting a fish in my tank without qt first... and then all my fish got velvet and died. I pulled the last fish out a 6 line who refused to die or be removed from the tank, I had to pull all my rock to get him about 4 weeks ago. Now I'm getting antsy and want fish in the tank again how much longer should I leave it empty is the 8 week rule good or overkill?

I would definitely go a minimum of 10 weeks, but in the past when I had a similar issue in my personal reef tank I actually went upwards of 14 weeks just to make sure.

It killed me as well not to have fish in my tank for that long but as you did I spent more time stocking corals and focusing on coral growth. Patience is the key here. You do not want to rush it as you run the risk of not eliminating it completely and going through the same issue.

So I had the classic learning experience with putting a fish in my tank without qt first... and then all my fish got velvet and died. I pulled the last fish out a 6 line who refused to die or be removed from the tank, I had to pull all my rock to get him about 4 weeks ago. Now I'm getting antsy and want fish in the tank again how much longer should I leave it empty is the 8 week rule good or overkill?

I never waited more than the time it took me to go and buy the fish again.

That happened to me 3 times because I was a stupid taking the fish number or mixing the wrong fish, to a point that all were STRESSED.......then all issues, that are dormant start, and in a couple of days fish are gone.

After 3 times...... I learned my lesson !!!!!.

I never quarantined any fish.

If they are well feed and not stressed, all will go smoothly.

That is MY experience.

Last edited:
I went 72 days. In this time I was able to save a sick fish with cupramine in quarantine, and re-arrange my rock work and focus on the actual function of the tank as a whole. I kept it up and running like a fully stocked tank. Had many snails already, so I kept it lightly fed. I ended up with a green water bloom during this time which is when I added the carbon/GFO reactor as well as the uv sterilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will always be conflicting opinions and advice on this topic.

First there is the never resolving issue of two camps, eradicators and managers. Which approach one subscribes to dictates everything else about how treatment and intervention should be understood. For example, if you manage ick, then a QT is only a place to let a stressed fish calm down, or may be to get some medication for a secondary infection. If you are going with eradication, then there are specific and strict protocols to follow depending on what treatment approach you chose (hypo, copper, or TTM).

Now for purposes of this thread discussing fallow periods in the display only apply if you are trying to eradicate. If you are living with/managing ick, then the fallow period is pretty pointless in the first place.

So let's assume we are talking about eradication plans. Here the fallow period discussion also allows for a lot of varying opinions and perceptions. Ick has a well understood basic life cycle, but there are also some variables. For example the number of days it takes to complete the life cycle; derived from statistics. (I'm making up numbers here for the purposes of discussion and to illustrate a point with out having to dig up the books...) If one stage lasts 2-3 days as we know it, then really it's more like 98.8% completes that life state within 2-3 days, and 99.4% complete that life stage within 2-3.25 days. Bla, bla, bla...... Same thing with fallow time. We know that under normal circumstances 6-8 weeks Should be adequate for all ick to die out. Well in reality that means that probably 99.? % will have died out within 8 weeks, leaving some slight chance that a few will survive a little bit longer. Add to that, theories have evolved about different ick strains that may have somewhat longer life stages, AND theories that sometimes ick may have some ability to lie dormant for longer, and it gets a lot less clear.

So what is the right fallow time? (again, Making up numbers to illustrate the point)
6-8 weeks = 95 + % likelyhood of eradication
10 weeks = 98% likelyhood of eradication
12 weeks = 99.5% likelyhood of eradication

Just like the birth control pill, it's about percentages. 6-8 weeks is more often than not effective. 12 weeks is much more consistently effective. There is no absolutely assured 100% answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back