How many Amps on an Aquaspacelight?

Armando

v 4.0
I was hoping to plug my 2 Aquaspacelight fixtures to a Aquacontroller heavy duty device but now I think it won't be possible.

I looked everywhere but did not find information about amps used by the fixtures. Each one is a 2X250 + 1x150, HQIs.

The label on the fixture says "710 watts". So total for both fixtures is 1420 watts. Approx 13A.

The heavy duty module supports up to 15A total, but I'm not sure if the 13A I calculated is reliable, I've heard these things have a peak when turned on.

Help?

Each module has 4 outlets. Each outlet can support up to 12A but the total for the module can't exceed 15A. I was hoping to use only one module because they're bulky and expensive.

Armando,i do not know the exact figures for whatever those ballasts and bulbs you are using but an approximation for a 250 hqi de would be 3 amps so 4 of those gives 12 and then 2 amps per 150 hqi de gives a total of 16 amps.You are also correct in stating that there is likely to be a higher amperage drawn on ignition of the bulbs.
Sounds like an overload,IMO.
-Liam.

i think you're right Liam. Looks like I'll need to spend an extra $170 for another module :( I should have just used x10 instead...

Armando said:
i think you're right Liam. Looks like I'll need to spend an extra $170 for another module :( I should have just used x10 instead...

Or a $20.00 digital timer;)

I think Liam's estimation is high. I'd agree with your initial estimate Armando. I=P/V gives 12.9 Amps. I'm not sure about the start-up current though. That's easy to avoid by not starting all 6 bulbs at the same time. In fact I expect the most you'd ever start at once is 2 of the 250w bulbs.

Should work in my opinion, but it's probably worth a call to Neptune to get their opinion. They may also be rated for a higher momentary current, and 15A constant current. Worth asking maybe.

NateHanson said:
I think Liam's estimation is high. I'd agree with your initial estimate Armando. I=P/V gives 12.9 Amps. I'm not sure about the start-up current though. That's easy to avoid by not starting all 6 bulbs at the same time. In fact I expect the most you'd ever start at once is 2 of the 250w bulbs.

Should work in my opinion, but it's probably worth a call to Neptune to get their opinion. They may also be rated for a higher momentary current, and 15A constant current. Worth asking maybe.

According to amperages measured by sanjay joshi it is not a simple case of ohms law ;)

Back