How many gallons before a nano is no longer a nano?

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
So we're trying out this new forum, but haven't decided on a cut off for tank size.

So what is a nano?

I would base it on what stores sell as a nano tank
Yahoo answers defines nano fish tank as being up to 35 gallons
That's kind of big tho isn't it?
Thoughts people???

I think a nano is something less than 10 gallon

I think a nano is something less than 10 gallon

I would call that a Pico :)

I think its more matter of opinion, but I think less than 30 gallons is a nano. Many, many people on the nano-reef forum have JBJ 28's or biocube 29's. Just my opinion though.

I think <25 gallons or so is a nano IMO.

But I think there is more to a nano than just tank size. I feel like there is s certain level of the KISS methodology associated with nanos. For example, on RC, there is a build thread for a 10 gallon with radions, mp10s, a GHS profilux, top off, and dosers. Does this really count as a nano?

But I think there is more to a nano than just tank size. I feel like there is s certain level of the KISS methodology associated with nanos. For example, on RC, there is a build thread for a 10 gallon with radions, mp10s, a GHS profilux, top off, and dosers. Does this really count as a nano?

Why not? The tank itself is still a nano, regardless how much money is into it. My 8 gallon tank has an Ice Probe, Eshopps nano skimmer, heater/temp controller (a DIY), and a DIY ATO. I can't see this being any less of a nano than the same tank with none of that.

I think biocubes and 29g tanks are nanos - maybe 35g as a max (to include things like the odd 32g tank), whereas things like 40g tanks are small but not really nanos IMO.

34g or less. Bio-Cube makes a 29g.

How about going a poll style thread?

i don't think its a hard number. 30 gallons or less is a nano, but add one more gallon with custom dimensions and suddenly it's not a nano?

I think 30 gallons is fair. Also, 32 gallons would be included. It's like a cube, a 24x24x18 is not technically a cube, but people call them that.

If it's close, it's a cube.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Isn't there an all in one tank on the market that's 34G? If so, then that would seem like a good number to me, but otherwise it sounds like a lot of people are thinking 29/30 gal as the cut off.

On the other hand it could just be left to the people posting to decide if they belong in the nano forum or not. As a moderator I can comfortably say that I would love to NOT have another rule to worry about enforcing :) (of course if someone did choose to post about their 250gal obviously-not-nano it would be easy enough to move the thread out)

Back