How to lower calcium and raise all.

vuchim

Non-member
Have not done the testing for the last two weeks after a switch to reef chrystal salt
Did the test today and found out that Calcium in the tank is 503 and all is at 9 (160ppm)

So how what would be the best way to lower calcium to around 405 and maybe raise my alk a little bit to around 10 pr 11?

Thanks

either water change or just wait it out...depends on how much your tank uses up. In my tank 503 won't be there long. You could bump the alk with some baking soda or baked baking soda depending on your ph.

9 alk is a good level. 500 calcium is fine too (bit high but nothing to worry about). I think too many people worry about what the number is instead of stablizing it and maintaining the level. to answer your question, if you want to raise alk, I think baking soda will do that independant of calcium (or little impact). theres a reef calculator online to show how much to use...ask around and should find more info but I think its unnecessary. Water changes are also a good way to if your salt is higher in alk and lower in calcium ( i think instant ocean would fit those requirements).

I have some BRS sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) specifically intended for raising just alk. I have a gallon container for $10

Back