How warm did everyones tank get during the heat wave

81.5 for me. Tank is in basement, no chiller or fans and it has always stayed at safe temp for me (knock on wood). I do sometimes turn off lights though when I see it hit high temp.

This is my first summer with my reef tank. Mine got up to 85, so I bought a clip on fan to blow across the top of the tank. That managed to knock it down to just above 80, but I loose almost 3/4 of an inch of water to evaporation every day that the fan is blowing. Thankfully nothing in the tank seems to be bothered by the bump in temp, though the fish seem to be hungrier than usual.

My pico has been a steady 77.0-77.5 since December of 2011 (Can't believe the tank is already that old!) With the exception of power outages ofcourse.
The 40g only has a float thermometer so it's not exactly accurate but highest I saw it was 80. So likely 83 or so tops?
My birdsnest hasn't looked very happy for the past few weeks which might be a heat issue as everything else is fine as is all the water params.
It's perfectly healthy, just not as bushy as usual nor is my pocillopora. My SPS are what tells me my tank is too hot.
Just bought a fan for the tank. I usually had to use a floor fan instead but now I have a nice big clamp on fan. =]

for the benifit of us all I am wondering what temp people run into trouble.......? my gut is 84-85 for more than a few hours

what do others think

I will agree with that area. Though the tanks at many LFS I've been too I feel run around there sometimes since I don't always see a fan or AC. Makes you wonder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

for the benifit of us all I am wondering what temp people run into trouble.......? my gut is 84-85 for more than a few hours

what do others think

For running over 90 degrees for what I assume to be more than a day (maybe two or three), this is the outcome.

Frogspawn is gone.
Blasto merletti is gone.
Blasto wellsi is gone.
Acan is gone.
Xenia is gone.
Japanese clove polyps gone.

Kenya tree not looking so good.

Birdsnest is rebounding.

Teal Candy cane rebounded.
Mushrooms rebounded.

Kryptonite candy cane was unaffected.
All Zoas and palys were unaffected.
Montipora was unaffected.
Lobo was unaffected.

Green slimmer acro appears to have made substantial growth.
Duncan unaffected, but started to grow a new head.

Not sure what you can get out of it, but if you needed a high temp experiment, those are the results.

Last edited:
The fan I had running over the tank gave out it my tank and it got up to 90 .I suspect for a couple of days. Lost some candycanes and some of my meteor showers were loosing tissue.
Does anyone have issues with condensation in this humidity?
I have managed to get the tank to 80 and have noticed some water on the floor around the tank and the tank was wet around the upper edges.
Maybe because the tank was low on water and the exposed glass might have cooled even lower from the fan.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tank got warm not sure how warm. Browned out all my sps and pissed off my anemones but everything else looks fine.

The fan over my tank crapped out and when I came home from work the tank was 85 degrees, however it was still in the cycle process so nothing was hurt but I have since replaced the fan...it also made me want an apex controller badly

sorry fwiw

For running over 90 degrees for what I assume to be more than a day (maybe two or three), this is the outcome.

Frogspawn is gone.
Blasto merletti is gone.
Blasto wellsi is gone.
Acan is gone.
Xenia is gone.
Japanese clove polyps gone.

Kenya tree not looking so good.

Birdsnest is rebounding.

Teal Candy cane rebounded.
Mushrooms rebounded.

Kryptonite candy cane was unaffected.
All Zoas and palys were unaffected.
Montipora was unaffected.
Lobo was unaffected.

Green slimmer acro appears to have made substantial growth.
Duncan unaffected, but started to grow a new head.

Not sure what you can get out of it, but if you needed a high temp experiment, those are the results.

My wife thought I was out of my mind spending 900 on a chiller in may, however with a 245 and 3x 400 halides, i had to do something.... glad i did... Never got above 78.6. All is good. Chillers are well worth the investment

Not saying one way or the other, but at $900 for a chiller, wouldn't it of been less expensive to buy an AC unit for that room for say $200 and have ran that instead in powersaver/economy mode?
Not saying it was a bad purchase, IDK how to word it, more of an inquisitive question. IDK if maybe the chiller would keep the tank cooler? IDK if an AC can or can't combat all that heat.
IDK how to word my question properly to make it not sound wrong, lol.

I personally just use an AC for my room and it keeps the pico plenty cool but it's a pico so ofcourse it's easier. But JW for example if say you ran an AC at 72 degrees or something if it'd keep that 250g at stable temps?

Not saying one way or the other, but at $900 for a chiller, wouldn't it of been less expensive to buy an AC unit for that room for say $200 and have ran that instead in powersaver/economy mode?
Not saying it was a bad purchase, IDK how to word it, more of an inquisitive question. IDK if maybe the chiller would keep the tank cooler? IDK if an AC can or can't combat all that heat.
IDK how to word my question properly to make it not sound wrong, lol.

I personally just use an AC for my room and it keeps the pico plenty cool but it's a pico so ofcourse it's easier. But JW for example if say you ran an AC at 72 degrees or something if it'd keep that 250g at stable temps?
I tried that, but temp was still getting above 84 I nuked some lps and bleaches sps
Using just ac. With the chiller it keeps it rock solid at 78.6with no fluctuation... I still have to use ac or my living room tuns Into a sauna!

Oh wow no kidding. I assume you somehow route the outlet of the chiller to dump all that hot air outside? I had a chiller once when I had a 29g but it was in a small bedroom and the hot exhaust outlet just blew hot air all over the room making it so hot the chiller always stayed on and nothing ever got cooled down go figure. I do have a Ice Probe mini chiller on my pico tank though which works freakin' awesome it cases where i'm not home and don't want to leave my AC on.

lucky for me my tank is in my bedd room so i just leave the ac on for days at a time and my tank stays put at 77 never moves but the ac also bennifits me when i come home from doing asphalt all day im nuked i learned my first year on hott days just to leave it going to me its not worth shutten it off to lose stuff and there cheap enough to leave running sorry to hear about the people that lost stuff

78F for me with central air set to 72-73, I don't know how you guys can deal with out an AC or central air in the summer. My central air hasn't turned off for who knows how long now lol...

Back