Hydor pump really loud

Jelandusn

Non-member
I just got a Hydor pump for my 90 gallon. I think it’s 1000 something gph. It hums so loud! It’s so distracting and probably bothers the fish also. Is this normal? If they’re loud like this I’ll return it. If not maybe mine is defective and I can just exchange it. They were on sale so I thought I’d try it out but this humming sucks!!

They should be quiet especially at first.

Is it sitting on rubber feet or a rubber mat? Is the sound coming from the plumbing, glass/sump, or the actual motor?

I would exchange if it was the motor. If the others then I would think it needs to be repositioned or have some flexible piping thrown in there to help absorb some noise before hitting the rigid pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure its sitting on a soft surface a plastic bag filled with damp sand works great, and if its not connected to the system with a foot or so of soft rubber hose you will never get rid of the hum.

Jim

It’s a powerhead or circulating pump not a pump that goes inthe sump. It’s in the aquarium and the hum is definitelycoming from the powerhead.

Then definitely replace it. It should not make a hum with that brand. The impeller is probably off center or something wrong with the adapter. If it is not touching any other surface than the glass I would guess impeller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. I’ll send it back. I just wanted to make sure first. It was only $30 something bucks so I thought this might be a case of you get what you pay for. Glad to hear that they aren’t normally loud.

Back