Hydra 26 HD vs Reef Breeder Photon V2

Piaggio180

Non-member
Looking for some input and opinions. Looking to upgrade the lighting on a 24 inch cube from T5 to LED. For a 20 inch deep mixed reef with a good amount of SPS and clams. I think I have it narrowed down to the Hydra 26 HD and the Reef Breeders Photon V2. They are similar priced with full spectrum. I don't want to have to supplement the LED fixture. The photon has a wider coverage since it comes in a variety of lengths. The hydra seems to have a better director/controller software. Anyone have first hand with these. Thanks

the hydra will give more even par and color . this is due to its lens which blends everything very well . The reefbreeder is a nice light , but a PITA to set up and it has "hot spots " in its coverage meaning some spots will get 200 par and others maybe 125 while the hydra will be almost even across an 18 inch area then fall off to 24 inch area and again out to 30 inch. but I think its better

I wish there was more people using the Photon V2 to allow more customer reviews.

I like the appearance and the spread of the Photon V2. However the Hydra is much more well known and many aftermarket slim low profile mounts are avaliable. I don't want to hang from the ceiling with aircraft wire but want the small form factor mounting.

I have heard customers complain about losing connection and programming when using the Hydra director. I am also worried that I will have too much shading or darker areas do to scapping with the narrow Hydra

what size tank are we talkin about ? What corals ? with any light source there is shading . I run 2 hydra 52 HD and 1 26 HD in the middle on a 210 and the coverage is very good The 52 is about 40% brighter than the 26 but the 26 is no slouch it really packs a punch for its small size

For a 24 inch cube, I will go with one Hydra 52 HD.
The Photon v2 is not the same class as Hydra HD:
1. It doesn't have wavelength lower than 420nM, despite debates over the 400 nM near UV led is important or not, the Hydra HD does provide a fuller spectrum than Photon v2
2. Hydra HD has great color blending to the extend that the light output is uniform under the "white paper test". Photon v2 has no color blending at all due to the design. it means the red and green color is not blended at all.
3. The programming of Hydra HD is light years ahead of Photon v2, with Photon v2 sports the most primitive and worst control among all premium LED fixtures.

On the other hand, Photon v2 24 inch fixture is brighter than Hydra 26HD, which is closed to Hydra52HD.
So you save some money for a Photon v2 24inch fixture over a Hydra 52HD but you gets an inferior light.

Last edited:
I have heard customers complain about losing connection and programming when using the Hydra director.

The Hydra HD series LED no longer use AI director, they have wireless control built in.

I have a shipment of these lights coming from manufacturer to Toronto, Cad, i have 1 of all 4 on hand to check them out and they are pretty awesome lights. This is a re-branded Light, not manufactured by ReefBreeders

They are manufactured by Evergrow. Reef breeders has different layouts and led chips selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back