i have some clear flatworms....

aweeks95

Non-member
i recently put some cheato in the fuge area in my sump. after about 3 days or so i noticed clear flatworms. they are small....less and 1/4" or maybe 3/16"...i have noticed 3 at one time. i'm sure my chances are great that i have more than that...i wasn't too concerned at first seeing as i have mostly soft corals and a couple or LPS. the only exception to this is a small piece of green monti cap i recieved free from a very nice guy at the last meeting. this frag has been doing surprisingly well in my tank. i love that it shows new growth and has always had a healthy color since the moment i put it in my tank...anywho, to my question. will the flatworms, which will at some piont end up in my main tank, hurt the monti cap? i know acros take a hard hit but do the monti's fall in the same relm of possible invasion?

ANDY

Andy, it sounds like the harmless variety, These eat really small pods. No worries.

Just to double check, do these look like a tear drop with a forked tail?

acro eating flatworms are very different from red "plague" flatworms which are very different from plain old fishfood flatworms. It doesn't sound like you are seeing either of the two nasty kinds.

of course as i go to look at them to refresh my memory of what they look like, the all scattered to different places....LOL. yes if i remember right they are tear drop shaped with a forked tail...

thanks everyone for your replies!!!!

ANDY

→Quantum Materiae Materietur Marmota Monax Si Marmota Monax Materiam Possit Materiari?← ??????? Cindy ?????

Andy,

I found one of these flatworms today as well. It was sliming its way over the top of one of my watermelon shrooms. At first it looked like a piece of algae so I touched it lightly with my scraper and it slimed forward. So far it is the only one I have seen.

Any comments regarding how these might spread - this particular breed?

Pete

"Everyone should have a secret "

i suppose you're right!!!

any other info on these little guys?

ANDY

Well, it has been there for six months and I just put the arrows in today. Not much fun if it's too easy is it?

Last edited:
aweeks95 said:
"Everyone should have a secret "

i suppose you're right!!!

any other info on these little guys?

ANDY
:D sorry for the thread hijack.

You should be fine with them. The population will wax and wane depending on the prediters and food. They will probably be wiped out if you ever have to treat for the red flatworms, and someone who has treated may want some to seed their tank.

Pete's reef,

not to make you worry but there are flatworms that are parasitic to some shrooms and or leathers. I've never seen them but there are some pictures in "the coral reef aquarium", either vol 1 or 2, by C. Delbeek & Sprung.

I only mention this because you said you found one on a shroom. If I remember correctly the shroom parasite ones were more or less clear in the pics I've seen.

Aweeks95,
I agree yours sound like the harmless ones, little transparent pac man ghosts

thanks guys and gals for all your help...i feel much better now!!!
denvig...the ones i have look just like the first one in the pic on that page.

thanks again to all for all the help

ANDY

Back