I know Woburn water is bad.....but this?

NanoReefer

25g Waterbox
This is after maybe 50 gallons of clean water production. It is a 1 micron filter. This is why I do not drink Woburn water. We buy all our drinking water. Yuk :( Thankfully we are moving in the next month or so, I am definately going to need a new filter, hopefully I can get a month out of this, it is only 2 1/2 weeks old!!!!!!!!

Anyone else have pics of their clear canisters they want to share?

1jqhza

You buy your drinking water even though you have a filter? I hooked up a drinking water faucet to me RO/DI unit. Takes my Watertown water from a 90-100 TDS reading down to 3-4 TDS for drinking water and then after the DI 0 TDS for tank water. You should investigate how much money you spend on buying water vs what it would cost you to add a drinking water faucet to your filter system.

NanoReefer said:
Yuk :( Thankfully we are moving in the next month or so, I am definately going to need a new filter, hopefully I can get a month out of this, it is only 2 1/2 weeks old!!!!!!

We have not bought any in a coupla weeks. :)

is the 1 micron filter the first one in line? it shouldnt be..thats why yuo should have a more pourous filter first...

Curiously, I hooked my RO unit up to a faucet in our basement, and my filter looked just like that, pushed my TDS through the roof... Turns out the pipes in the basement don't get used a whole lot. I had to replace a couple filters as a result. Now its in my Bathroom. I wonder if you just happen to have some sort of 'work' done to the water system around the same time as this occurence? I know a water main blew in somerville and in cambridge recently, and these types of events do cause sediments to get "stirred" up... Might want to look into it. Most likely, that discoloration is rust from old pipes. Think of it as Iron supplementation ;) I know Somerville elevates the water PH to around 9.3 with calcium hydroxide (lime !) to prevent this from occuring....

Piscevore said:
Curiously, I hooked my RO unit up to a faucet in our basement, and my filter looked just like that, pushed my TDS through the roof... Turns out the pipes in the basement don't get used a whole lot. I had to replace a couple filters as a result. Now its in my Bathroom. I wonder if you just happen to have some sort of 'work' done to the water system around the same time as this occurence? I know a water main blew in somerville and in cambridge recently, and these types of events do cause sediments to get "stirred" up... Might want to look into it. Most likely, that discoloration is rust from old pipes. Think of it as Iron supplementation ;) I know Somerville elevates the water PH to around 9.3 with calcium hydroxide (lime !) to prevent this from occuring....

I agree, That happens sometimes with an old main down the street from my house. It has busted a couple times in the last two years & everytime they disturb it to put a patch that happens. I wish they would replace all the mains in my area....But oh what a mess the streets will be in!!!!!

RichConley said:
is the 1 micron filter the first one in line? it shouldnt be..thats why yuo should have a more pourous filter first...

It is first in line, but I don't have a coarser filter, what is recommended?

Piscevore said:

It is on my kitchen sink used every day. I may give a call to the DPW and see whats up. I know Woburn water is like liquid rock as well but it doesn't seem to help. Hopefully when we move we will get better water quality. Woburn doesnt' have the best reputation as far as water is concerned. No names metioned but they know who they are. :mad: :(

I'm gonna move this out to Reef Talk where it might get a bit more visibility.
Interesting thread.

My coworker lives in Woburn, has a reef and a RO unit. I will ask him what his looks like on Monday.

Wasn't Woburn the town that had the water polluted by the guy subcontracting for WR Grace Co (a division of Beatrice).

Acton was another town who's water was polluted by WR Grace.

Some light reading for those interested. I belive Murphy's waste Oil was in there somewhere, but I may be mistaken or they were not involved(<-- insert personal disclaimer here)

A link - Bear in mind this link is operated by W.R. Grace & Co.

Lots of info here relating to the movie and the book "A Civil Action" and how it relates to reality.

Woburn Childhood Leukemia Follow-up Study
Information Booklet

A good link - "According to the settlement, the parties responsible for the cleanup -- W.R. Grace & Co., UniFirst Corp., New England Plastics, Beatrice Co., Wildwood Conservation Corp. And John J. Riley, Jr. -- must decontaminate their properties, finance EPA's oversight, perform a study of the area surrounding wells G and H, and reimburse the EPA for past site investigation costs."

I live right near Woburn in Burlington and the last time I checked the TDS of my tap it was really high - around 600+. I don't remember exactly but it was unbelievably high. My prefilter also looks like the pic.

Sediment will get stirred up in water mains anytime there's a fire in your area too. The high flow created by the engines using suction on a hydrant (especially in areas with low water pressure) will really stir up all the sediment which settles out in the mains.

Here in Lawrence, our water was always rusty, so I installed a $50 HD whole-house filter just after our water meter. (It's basically the same as that first stage of your RODI, but a little coarser spun-polyester element). I replace it every month, and it is dark brown within a couple days after I replace it. SCARY!

Those GE whole house filters are so cheap, and so easy to install (compression fittings, so no sweating copper) that I would recommend anyone install one if they own their house. It'll extend the life of your RODI elements, and who knows what it'll keep out of your food and body.

Nate

Nate,those are definatley cost effective, unfortunately I live in an apartment and cannot modify the plumbing. :(
I really think more people should look at water purification systems for their water supply, OTOH if the water supply was clean to begin with it would be much better.;)

Our water is yellow enough now I don't even brush my teeth with it( I wait for a glass of RO), I really feel grossed out just taking a shower. YUK We have a Pur filter on the faucet but it is just a carbon block.
Hopefully when we move the water quality will be better.

Just checked my TDS again here in Millbury. Back up to 520.

I was down to 430 a few weeks ago. It seems to go up when the weather warms up. Highest was 740+. I'm still curious about a leaching pipe somewhere in the water system here.

Steve

As long as we are talking water, we were looking at a house in Natick, but I am a bit concerned about the water supply with the Army Natick Labs there. Any one live in Natick and know anything about what testing they do on the well water?

My friend in Woburn just had his filter stp working after 4 months of use. When he pulled the prefilter it was BLACK, completely black.

Speaking of water quality, we're going through a "water emergency" here in Billerica, with a "boil order" in effect... I'm not sure about the details, apparently something happened with the power supply at the treatment plant, but they're concerned about bacterial contamination and are injecting more chlorine/chloramine in the pipes... I've already noticed a jump in tap water TDS, it's usually around 250ppm, yesterday was close to 300.

I'll have to check the filters after the situation goes back to normal.

Nuno

Back