I need infected corals!!

One Eye

former vp of pr
I am about out of flatworms. As odd as this may sound, I am asking people to donate infected frags or colonies. I promise the frag or colony will be put to good use. I am not looking for a quick kill for these flatworms, just trying to get a clear understanding of they're life cycle. I could also use any unwanted acros, brownouts, frags everyone already has...whatever the case may be. My tank looks like a bomb went off. I'm using the frags as food to keep the flatworms fed. I have yet to see eggs hatch and would like to watch the cycle from egg to adult.
Thanks in advance!

Oh ya, feel free to PM me about any donations. I can wait until the July meeting to pick them up.

How long has it been since you started seeing the eggs?
I am curious about how long the life cycle is at this point.

M.

I have white flatworms...tons and I don't have a single coral, just a FOWLR they are in my fuge with some macro and they are multiplying like silly...

Dont' know what they are eating...

sw300galma said:
I have white flatworms...tons and I don't have a single coral, just a FOWLR they are in my fuge with some macro and they are multiplying like silly...

Dont' know what they are eating...
Those are likely a very different type of flatworm. pretty good odds if they are not a brownish red they won't be a problem to anything and the fish will think they are candy.

darren,
i still have all the corals from ray that are infested.
we should arrange a time to meet to get some to you.
you might get lucky, I think they have mites and red flatowrms too.

keep us posted on the egg life cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can report that in my test setup, after not seeing any adults for over 2 weeks, nor eggs in 4 weeks, I found new eggs 2 days ago. So if some babies had hatched just before I removed the eggs 4 weeks ago, then it is 4 weeks to adult egg-laying stage.

so that is a minimum of four weeks from hatch to laying and the worms were not large enough to be detectable in that time period?

~Flighty~ said:
so that is a minimum of four weeks from hatch to laying and the worms were not large enough to be detectable in that time period?

Not that I could visibly see. I looked at the corals every day very closely. Many I would pick up and inspect as well, looking with a magnifying glass. Same day I found a couple of "bite marks" on one coral was when I found a small patch of eggs. Maybe it is only one adult; I have no way of knowing. I do know that blasting in a white container all corals hadn't yielded a single adult in over 2 weeks, and then voila! there is a small patch of eggs and a few bite marks. There is a six-line wrasse in there, maybe that kept the number so low. Very hard to definitively know the life cycle though.

I need to meet up with you Scott. I don't have any flatworms left to fool around with.
Scott, think you might have some monti eating nudi's in there too? I put digitata and capricornis in the tank with the fw's and they starved to death rather than eat the monti. I haven't tried anything like spumosa or undata , etc.
I've found that 5 days without acropora is about when they starve. They don't tolerate high temps or salinity swings....neither do acros :)
The juvenilles are almost impossible to see but can still lay eggs. I haven't been able to keep them alive and fed to the point where thay are adult size, so I can't say how long it takes, but 4 weeks doesn't seem to show to much change in size. I think what was said earlier about them taking 3 to 4 months or longer to reach a decent size is true. I've been running into problems keeping them fed. They go through acropora pretty quick and as much as I'd like to learn about these guys I'm not going to feed them my torts. I thought I had a couple donations to the cause but they fell through. I fraged the bejesus out of my corals and finaly said enough was enough. So I'll put the call out again. If you've got acro's that are dieing anyway or browned out or you just don't like them, please let me know.
Scott, I have a pretty open schedule this weekend, I might work in Nashua on Sat morning. Other than that I'm free....wife free all weekend too!! :) Deb's got a new job and they are making her work Thursday thru Monday for a few months....you know what they say..... Poo Poo roles down hill and I get some weekends to myself!!

If you need a definately noninfected frag well encrusted and growing, but an ugly poop color, I can donate it. It is the only acro in my tank and I haven't added any frags, rock, or corals in a long time.

Hey, I need infected Corals, too. Some how my thread dropped like a rock, and Darren's scortched to the top. :) Scott can I get an infested colony? please?

Back